PDA

View Full Version : Help with my AR

Arley
08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
My AR15 is all over the paper . Shooting my reloads 55 grain FMJBT. Took it out to 100 yrds and could not get on paper .:eek: It was dead on till then . Took it 50 yrds . and at times would not get on paper .:mad::(:eek: I shoot a3x9x50 scope with about 500 rounds with it on the rifle .
I don't get it ?? Scope broken ? It was a cheap Tasco but still .

Any insight welcome . I am currently tearing it down and going to free float it. I did not have any iron sights on it to check if something else was wrong ( other than the scope )

Please help .

Arley

jmlutz
08-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Did you check for loose scope mounts? I'll bet the problem is entirely scope related.

BigAm
08-26-2014, 03:05 PM
I was gonna say it sounds like a scope or faulty rings issue.

If you have a friend with a scope with quick disconnect you should take your off roll his on and give it a shot and see whats up.

An AR should be be at least a 1" at 100 yard rifle.

If you want to spend a lil cash and get something great look into Nikon M223 scopes or there ProStaff Series or Vortex stuff. Rings make a big difference too. Just find some solid one piece rings or a good mount like the Nikon M-223 mouth or a Burris PEPR.

Good luck hope that helps!

Gatorade
08-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Also check with factory ammo till you get it nailed down. What changes have you made since you last had it shooting well? If nothing has changed then the reloads could be off. Check that scope mount as stated above and make everything tight. Maybe also time to get some irons and start at 50 yards to rule out all possible issues but the optic.

Good luck!

TLE2
08-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Laser your optics. If you believed or, knew, it to be zeroed at one point, I agree: loose sight.

Caleb
08-26-2014, 06:41 PM
First, change your optics. The Nikons are cheap enough but, better glass than Tasco. To illiminate the rifle, throw some irons and check with those.

It does sound like loose optics, though.

dw1911
08-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Loose Optics, happened to Me before, thing is, they don't have to be very loose.
Just a fraction at the scope can equate to inches at the target.

brownie
08-27-2014, 07:58 AM
Loose mounts or the loads, if nothing else changed.

titanse05
08-27-2014, 11:57 AM
You need to ditch the junk optic and then try to zero.

My shooting buddy made the ncstar mistake when we were sighting in his AR a couple years ago before I bought my first AR and we could get it sighted in, but it would not be consistent.

A good cheap scope that seems to hold zero are the CenterPoint scopes available at Walmart. That same friend purchased a 4-16x with a 1" tube and has had good luck with it. I have a CenterPoint 3-12x with a 30mm tube that I got from Dick's that has since been discontinued, but has been a excellent scope for the $130 invested. I use it strictly for paper punching but would trust it for more serious use.

All this being said, both of my ARs run Aimpoints.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Pawpaw
08-27-2014, 12:55 PM
I agree with everyone else, it's almost certainly a scope issue. My 1:7 twist pencil barrel Colt doesn't like any 55 grain ammo I tried, but it would at least hit the paper.

Don't overlook Redfield scopes. They're owned and operated by Leupold these days and are very good value-priced scopes.

I use this mount (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/386787/weaver-tactical-thumb-nut-spr-1-piece-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-1-rings-flattop-ar-15-matte) on my 10/22 Takedown, but it's really made for the AR platform.