PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Project Gun, or Early Christmas present

MajO
11-27-2011, 11:23 PM
This evening, on Gun Auction, I "won" a Fusion Firearms Pro Series Elite 1911, Long Slide, 10 mm, 6" match barrel, 1-9rd mag,Extended Mag well, Ambidextrous Safety, Front red fiber optic sight, with Champion Rear Adjustable Sight. I have read some positive comments about these pistols, but really know nothing about them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :):):)

I have seen pictures of one that Dave Severns worked his magic on, and the gun may be headed his way in the future.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=274

sdmc530
11-28-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't have any experiance with them but looking forward to seeing the end product...

Riverpigusmc
11-28-2011, 02:08 PM
cool beans...you've been winning lately :D

dennisc
11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Joe,
If you count it as the 2012 Project Gun, you could still get an early Christmas present too. When, in 2012 another potential project gun comes up, you could call it 2012 Project Gun II.:)
BTW, I've read all positive reviews on the Fusion 10mm longslide.
Dennis

MajO
11-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys. I think that I have spent all my firearms good will with my wife for quite awhile; so I doubt a "project gun II" is in the foreseeable future. I have been thinking about a Dillon Reloader, but, if I blew up the house, I would never hear the end of it. :eek:

titanse05
11-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Nice buy. I would like to add a 10mm longslide to my collection at some point. Enjoy!

MajO
11-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Thank you.

MajO
12-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I just picked up my Fusion Firearms Pro-Series Elite 1911 Custom Pistol-LS (Long Slide) in 10mm at my LGS. I bought it used off GunAuction. It appears to be unfired and blemish free. I find Fusion Firearms interesting as it is headed up by the former CEO of Dan Wesson and it seems as if the pistols are "made to order." I am certainly impressed with the quality of mine. (Of course, now that I have one, I think that Fusion deserves a sub catagory, under 1911's.) :mob:
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=288

Best wishes,

MPrimo
12-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Beautiful gun!

Nice acquisition!

Mike

MajO
12-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks Mike.

MajO
12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
And, so it begins. Step 1. Slide and barrel sent off to Mag-na-port, for autoporting.(http://magnaport.com/) :bananagun:

MajO
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Spent the day at the hospital, with wife recovering from bilateral knee replacements. On the way home, I picked up the barrel and slide, back from Mag-na-port, at FED EX.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=346

Step two complete. Now, we'll see what Robar's February Internet Special is on NP3 Plus. And the beat goes on... cowboy

skosh69
01-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Is that a "port" behind the front sight?

MajO
01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
It is a "port" indeed. According to Mag-na-port:

"Mag-na-port offers a unique system of porting semi-automatics by using a trapezoidal port through the barrel and an oversized expansion vent through the slide to allow maximum dissipation without fouling. This process offers an alternative to shooters not wanting additonal weight or length from add on compensators.

Shooters using Mag-na-port's "autoporting" services do not experience the large flash of muzzle blast experienced with systems dumping larger volumes of gases through holes positioned across the center line. Law enforcement agencies and companies offering night sights have tested our porting service finding no increase in muzzle blast or night blindness attributed to our porting service."

The "ports" are roughly at 10:00 and 2:00.

I also custom ordered a pair of Gaboon Ebony (Black) grips from Esmeralda. (http://www.esmeralda.cc/) Here they are in white:

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=348

Best wishes.

MajO
01-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Grips came in the mail today, from Esmaralda, in Gaboon Black Ivory. :party:

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=351

They are actually blacker than they show.

Gun is ready to ship to Robar, after I see what their February Internet Discount is. I am also considering replacing the two piece guide rod with a one piece and replacing the rear Elliason Style Sight with a Novak.

Snipersnest
01-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Nice looking grips,.........nice looking gun!

MajO
01-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks. It is currently a work in progress.

GoldenVolt
01-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Sweet Long slide.:cool:

$140 for porting doesn't seem unreasonable.:)

I like it. keep up the good work.:D

MajO
01-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Thank you. I am just waiting until Wednesday, to see what Robar's February Internet Special price is for the NP3 + treatment. Then I will send it in for the last touches. cowboy

Best wishes.

MPrimo
01-29-2012, 07:48 AM
I am really liking where you are going with this! Well done, sir!

MajO
01-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Thank you.

MajO
02-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Well, "good things come to those who wait." Robar's February "Internet Special" knocked $80 off the price of the NP3 Plus treatment. (http://robarguns.com/specials.htm)

My Long Slide is on it's way to Phoenix, for the following: cowboycowboy

1. Replace ambidextrous safety with the right handed safety
(Wilson,Bullet Proof).
2. Install Fusion Firing Pin Stop Plate.
3. Replace the two piece guide rod with a one piece.
4. NP3 Plus entire pistol (plus 1 magazine).
5. NP3 Plus 3 extra Magazines

This is the next to the last step with my 2012 project. It was a rude awakening to experience the cost increase of FedEx and UPS. :facepalm2::faint:

SmithEC
02-05-2012, 02:06 PM
It's just opinion, but it seems to me that you're doing everything just right.

I took a look thru a sub-forum of another forum yesterday, and was a bit surprised at how many folks like the look of that handgun as it looked when you picked it up.

I find that apparently raw stainless to be unbearable, especially that ambi- safety.

The NP3 Plus and that WC BP single-side safety is going to turn that into the perfect 10mil. That Mag-na-porting is awful interesting, also.

It's all opinion, but I think it's the ball cuts that you see on these longslides that make them especially attractive.

Good things don't come to those of us who don't wait. I handed a handgun to the FedEx lady on January 3rd for shipment to ROBAR, catching them between their monthly discounts. This for the NP3 + that you're talking about.

Those grips are gonna' look sharp against that NP3 plus.

I'll be anxious to see your final pics.

(When I first read one of your posts, I thought you had picked your wife up from the hospital and stopped at FedEx with the lady-in-possible-pain in your vehicle. Re-reading it, I see my error. I hope she's doing well.)

MajO
02-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Thank you for your kind, and discerning, comments. I look forward to getting the pistol back from Robar. I have been very happy with their NP3 finish on my Beretta and Auto Ordinance. I should be happy with the NP3 Plus on the whole pictol and the magazines. Most of all, I look forward to taking the pistol to the range and seeing what it can do. I will take pictures.

BTW, I think that the ambi safety looks like artzy wings that are out of place on a firearm. They annoyed me enough that they will be replaced.

My wife is home and recovering nicely. She is working hard and doing better every day. Thanks for your concern.

Best wishes,

Joe

It's just opinion, but it seems to me that you're doing everything just right.

I took a look thru a sub-forum of another forum yesterday, and was a bit surprised at how many folks like the look of that handgun as it looked when you picked it up.

I find that apparently raw stainless to be unbearable, especially that ambi- safety.

The NP3 Plus and that WC BP single-side safety is going to turn that into the perfect 10mil. That Mag-na-porting is awful interesting, also.

It's all opinion, but I think it's the ball cuts that you see on these longslides that make them especially attractive.

Good things don't come to those of us who don't wait. I handed a handgun to the FedEx lady on January 3rd for shipment to ROBAR, catching them between their monthly discounts. This for the NP3 + that you're talking about.

Those grips are gonna' look sharp against that NP3 plus.

I'll be anxious to see your final pics.

(When I first read one of your posts, I thought you had picked your wife up from the hospital and stopped at FedEx with the lady-in-possible-pain in your vehicle. Re-reading it, I see my error. I hope she's doing well.)

AutoMag
02-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Very nice Joe!!:)

I hope that your wife is doing well!!:)

MajO
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks. My wife is working hard at her rehab and is making great progress, for someone with a bilateral knee replacement.