PDA

View Full Version : Action pistol shooting

skosh69
09-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Today was my introduction to competition shooting by taking a "new shooter/orientation" class for action shooting, which will allow me then compete in USPSA or IDPA matches at my local range.

First off, I want to thank Edward, Mary and others who have in the past suggested going out and doing something like this rather than just punching paper at the local range.

Now the good stuff. We spent a couple hours in the classroom going over mostly safe gun handling techniques. Safety, safety, safety, safety over and over was the emphasis. We also learned about what USPSA and IDPA are, but the real education started when we stepped out of the classroom and onto the range.

Being able to hit the 10 ring at 15 or even 25 yards while standing still after casually picking your gun up off the shooting bench is one thing. Having to draw your weapon, run, shoot at different style targets, reload your mags, move to different areas, do it again, etc is a whole new ballgame.

Having one main instructor out front demonstrating everything first and having an individual coach, we first learned how to draw our guns from the holster. Over and over. Then it was learning to draw and do a mag change, practice shooting and then clearing the gun. Then it was drawing the gun and pretending to shoot strong hand. Then drawing the gun, SWITCHING to weak hand.

Now this may all seem trivial, but let me tell you....it's not. You would be surprised by how difficult these simple tasks are to complete if you've never done this before. I had practiced ( not as much as I should have ) and it was in fact very challenging.

Next we got to play with live ammo! WOO HOO. Now is when your nerves spike and blood start to race.

Luckily, Theo my coach, gave me some great advice before I loaded my first mag with live ammo. He said when you approach the firing line, I want you to stop for a second, take a deep breath and relax. He went on to say that I, the shooter, have the ability to take all the time I need to get ready and not to feel rushed. What sage advice.

We practiced the with the live ammo doing the same drills as above a few times. Man it was so much fun learning these new techniques. My shot groups weren't half bad either...that is until we went to weak hand shooting. Again the emphasis wasn't on how accurate we were, but how proficient we were at the drill.

After the RO and our own coaches felt that everyone was proficient enough, we moved to a USPSA course set up and one by one we shot the course.

Before shooting the course, we went over how the courses are laid out, target types and how many and we dry fired the course. Now the RO's told us many times that you have a plan on how YOU are going to shoot the course. We were told don't worry about how Joe Bob or Susan will shoot it, but how are you going to do it? Then they mentioned that we will forget about 99% of that once the buzzer goes off starting our engagement. They were right.

Now Ed told me that same thing, that as soon as the buzzer goes off, YOU WILL FORGET EVERYTHING. Yep, pretty much. Your hearts beating, blood is pumping and then BZZZZZ.....crap, what do I do? Hehehe. Well it wasn't that bac, but damn close.

There were about 20 of us in the class and I went 3rd. All I can say is WOW, why didn't I do this sooner? I cannot put into words how exhilarating and exciting it is to "run and gun" in a competition type atmosphere. While we were not timed or scored, we did go through and check our shot placements. Not bragging, but I did shoot rather well, mostly "A" zone hits. A few of us even did a 2nd and 3rd run. I only did 2 runs.

I now have to shoot in a complete match without getting DQ'd in the next 60 days to be completely qualified and receive my certification. I'm not sure if that's the norm with all ranges, but it is with ours.

In closing, I will have to say that I learned so much today, fundamentally and mechanically. I highly recommend it to anyone who is even remotely thinking of doing it. Action pistol shooting is so much fun and exciting.

Deleted
09-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Glad you had fun.

The buzzer is a killer, I remember my first match, Now it doesn't bother me, When you bring running and shooting from different distances and positions it is a hole new game.

Learn to calm your nerves and concentrate on getting your hits first, the spped thing will come in later.

Remember "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"

Shadow
09-06-2014, 09:10 PM
It's a real blast isn't it. We have several trainers here in Florida that have training classes like that. I have done the several of the monthly 3 gun practice drills, pistol, carbine and shotgun with Will (Standby). I know Barbie has done some with us as well as several other of the FL folks here at COTEP. Transitioning from carbine to pistol, or pistol to shotgun while running the course. The running and gunning knocks the wind out of me, especially on hot days. I'm too old for this, but love it!! :D

Riverpigusmc
09-06-2014, 09:16 PM
good deal, Chimp. I can't remember the last time I didn't draw from the holster to shoot. Now you see why I quit punching paper years ago. Keep it up. Don't shoot your eye out

LittleGator
09-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Enjoyed your post Ellison. I might have to give IDPA a try.

edgehill
09-06-2014, 09:49 PM
I've thought about it too.

Deleted
09-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Enjoyed your post Ellison. I might have to give IDPA a try.

I've thought about it too.

IDPA Has a ton more rules then USPSA, but is just as much fun.

Been shooting IDPA for a little over 2 years.

Feathermerchant
09-06-2014, 10:31 PM
AWESOME!!! ....told ya :)

DrHenley
09-06-2014, 10:36 PM
There are a number of reasons I prefer IDPA, but one of the two biggest impediments to my playing USPSA is having to crawl around on my knees which are way too old for that nonsense. :rolleyes:

I spent the first 5 or 6 IDPA matches just trying to run a clean match and shoot accurately, paying no attention to the timer. Once I got all the equipment issues ironed out and was not getting procedurals, I started speeding up.

Some of the other reasons...

IDPA attempts to do make you things in a way that might actually save your life.
You can actually be competitive in IDPA with a gun you already own (USPSA has become an equipment race)
The IDPA matches here are on Saturday (instead of Sunday like the USPSA matches - the other main impediment)

LittleGator
09-06-2014, 10:36 PM
So, is IDPA "easier" than USPSA as a means to get the feet wet in competitive shooting?

ETA: I see that DrHenley answered my question, as I was typing. Thanks!

ronpaul50
09-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Glad you didn't shot your foot off. Keep up the good work.

DrHenley
09-06-2014, 11:31 PM
The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Shoot IDPA

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics-training/tactics_training_idpa_092905

10. FRIENDSHIP AND FUN
9. THE OPPORTUNITY TO RUB SHOULDERS WITH THE BEST OF THE BEST
8. INTERESTING COURSES OF FIRE
7. DEVELOP SPEED-SHOOTING SKILLS
6. LEARN ABOUT TIME
5. YOU WILL BE BETTER PREPARED IF YOU DECIDE TO ATTEND A FIREARM TRAINING SCHOOL
4. AN INTERESTING ASSORTMENT OF TARGETS TO ENGAGE
3. EQUIPMENT REALITY CHECK
2. SAFETY
1. IMPROVE YOUR GUN-HANDLING SKILLS

Sheepdog
09-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Congrats, you finally got to put your gun in a holster, in the sunshine.:D I'm glad you didn't shoot the RO.

Both games are fun. One is based on no rules in a gun fight the other is can you follow the rules in a gun fight.:D My obviously biased opinion. Three gun is the BOMB!!!

brownie
09-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Nice write up, glad you enjoyed it, have fun with it, keep us posted on your progress.

sstpierre
09-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Enjoyed the write up Ell, and congrats on getting out there and on the great shot placement. I wish I had the balls to attempt this... I know its just a matter of going out and doing it, but with things like these I prefer to have someone to assist in things who has been there-done that, don't know anyone near me...

Awesome deal though, thanks for sharing!

-scott