PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco Sharpmaker

Riverpigusmc
09-14-2014, 07:59 PM
I cannot sharpen knives, which is why I have a three tier Klein toolbox full, from Case XX 50 years old, to old straight razors, my KBars, my Norwegian Lapp knife...even a double edged dagger made from a truck spring I got in a Filipino village, made by Ellison's cousins.
Now, with my Smith stones and the little angle guide, I was finally able to make them servicable for carry. But I heard Brownie and Andy talk about the Sharpmaker, and spent the 68 bucks.
Lemme tell y'all something. It just plain works. 40 strokes on the edge of the triangle, 40 strokes on the flats, and the knife is servicable. A few more strokes, and it shaves. I shaved with that Filipino dagger. The Case XX's and Oldtimers from decades past. I even took a Walmart fixed blade $3.00 fishing knife (with the scaler on the back). Made from a pressed together pop can or something, brand name China. Worked on it while watching football and just shaved my arm. Before that, I let Jake dig with it outside, that's how dull it was.
Now, can I get them as sharp as the Lapp knife I traded the Norwegian Marines out of? Nope. After 30 years and never seeing a stone, that thing will still slice a tomato cleanly just with the weight of it's own blade. But I get 'em pretty close, and it's so easy even the Chimp or the Roach can't screw it up.
Anyway, there it is. Worth the money

edgehill
09-14-2014, 08:46 PM
I love the Sharpmaker. Even my wife loves it. She'll give me kitchen knives to touch up.

TLE2
09-14-2014, 09:12 PM
I recommend a Lansky pocket snarpener to keep the edge. I have several.

Caleb
09-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Don't cut yourself.

jmlutz
09-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I've had my Sharpmaker about three years and think it is fantastic. I never was very good at sharpening, I can make any knife shave now.It's well worth the money to go ahead and get the extra fine rod, you can get some amazing results.

brownie
09-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Glad you found a system that works for you pig

I've sharpened over 5K knives in the last 20 years for people on the Syderco sticks. 3.00 a pop, that's a lot of coin over the years helping people just like you with this simple kit.

ronpaul50
09-15-2014, 09:41 PM
The package will be delivered tomorrow.

Riverpigusmc
09-15-2014, 10:05 PM
The package will be delivered tomorrow.

I told her that, and she replied I love football more than her....

wait, you're talking about the Sharpmaker. You'll love it

Shark1007
09-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Agree completely, it even does a great job on serrated edges.

Caleb
09-16-2014, 06:57 AM
1. Do you sharpen with or without oil on the sticks?

2. Whats your average pass per stone (I know it depends on the steel)?

Shark1007
09-16-2014, 07:23 AM
No, I clean them with Comet to get the residue off and I overkill, maybe ten passes each side.

brownie
09-16-2014, 08:28 AM
1. Do you sharpen with or without oil on the sticks?

2. Whats your average pass per stone (I know it depends on the steel)?

No oil on the ceramic sticks

Average pass, as you suggested, it depends on the condition of the blades primary and secondary edges, the steel and the heat treat. Usually I'll take a butter knife to scary sharp in 5 minutes using the diamond stones first, then the course ceramics. If it's sharper than a butter knife, less time.

Riverpigusmc
09-16-2014, 10:08 AM
I don't use oil on any of the sticks. Just clean 'em with Comet and a scouring pad when done

Caleb
09-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks.

I have not used the Sharpmaker for a while (have not needed to do so), I only usually dull up my work edc blade (Ripple). I just sharpen that one on the "Chef's Choice" sharpener (works well and fast).

This thread has inspired me on using the Spyderco SM again, thanks.

DaFadda
09-16-2014, 11:13 AM
After borrowing Aaron's super duper, high end Wicked Edge.... I purchased the field and Sport version..... best darned sharpener thinger I ever boughted!!!! I called the company and asked if they had any demos or factory seconds available, and lucked into one.... so instead of $299.... I got it for $139.

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/products2/sharpeners/wicked-edge-field-sport-detail

edgehill
09-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks.

I have not used the Sharpmaker for a while (have not needed to do so), I only usually dull up my work edc blade (Ripple). I just sharpen that one on the "Chef's Choice" sharpener (works well and fast).

This thread has inspired me on using the Spyderco SM again, thanks.

I've done nothing but destroy knives on the Chef's Choice sharpener that we have.

Caleb
09-16-2014, 12:14 PM
I've done nothing but destroy knives on the Chef's Choice sharpener that we have.

I can see how that would happen, I'm surprised the one we have actually works.

Night Owl
09-20-2014, 08:00 PM
After soliciting comments and input on the Sharpmaker, I finally took the plunge last night.

Found a new one on Amazon for $52. Since my Randall 18 has been unused for so long, it is in typical 'butter knife' condition. Since the blade is Solingen steel, I thought a set if diamond rods may come in handy, so I got a set of those too.

I hope I have the same luck with good results like so many here. I'll post my review after I do a couple knives. Somehow, I don't think my need for assistance is over just yet.

Thanks to everyone.

Owl

Sheepdog
09-20-2014, 10:27 PM
:pics: