PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice using the Sharpmaker

Night Owl
09-23-2014, 10:13 PM
I received my new Sharpmaker and a set of diamond rods a couple of days ago. I watched the instructional CD 3 times before I started. I’ve used a similar system with ceramic rods years ago, so I was familiar with using the V-rod system.

I recently bought a new knife and it didn’t have much of an edge. I expected it to take a little extra time, but ‘extra time’ has turned into ‘very long’ time.

I started with the diamond rods. I use little pressure and allow the rods to do the work. I’ve made very little progress. I have used the diamond rods to stroke the new blade with at least 500 strokes. I would call the progress of establishing an edge to be insignificant, at best.

After every 20-30 strokes, I wipe off the fine metal dust from the blade, so I know I’m making some progress. I run the blade across a thumb nail and I can feel the edge grabbing the nail. However, the edge is still so dull that I can run the blade across my finger and there is no threat of cutting myself. After several hours of elapsed time, the blade still won’t cut paper.

My question is, is this amount of time and 500+ stokes normal for trying to put an edge on a new blade that had almost no edge when I received it? If this is normal, then I have the patience to keep at it until it works. However, the impression I got from the CD was that the edge should start to make good progress with a lot less time than I have spent so far. I realize Spyderco is using the CD to sell more product, so maybe they didn’t want to acknowledge how slow the progress is in real life.

Can anyone offer some words of encouragement or advice on my slow progress? I’m expecting the diamond rods to show some progress before I switch to the medium grey rods, but maybe I’m expecting too much from the diamond rods.

I'm frustrated!

Thanks in advance,

Owl

Riverpigusmc
09-23-2014, 10:31 PM
I just got the diamond rods, and have yet to try them. But, with a knife that needs reprofiled or to change the edge angle, I use a set of bench stones, then go to the sharpmaker. I shall try the diamond stones tomorrow and see if I can put away the bench stones. I can say for a fact you won't set a new angle just with the ceramics. PM Brownie or Andy, they are more up to speed on the sharpmaker than I am

DrHenley
09-23-2014, 10:46 PM
Rods are for touching up an edge, not for heavy duty sharpening. You really need a good carborundum stone for the initial shaping of the edge.

Something like this set at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/6a/6a911c32-679f-469f-b2cd-87d386b4e163_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Chisel-and-Plane-Iron-Sharpening-Kit-16-050/202883308
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=864

DaFadda
11-30-2015, 06:52 PM
I'll ask the question... what type of knife are you trying to sharpen? particularly.... what Steel? I have a Zero Tolerance blade that is so hardened that my Wicked Sharp system takes forever to set that "paper slicing" edge.

Rather than the system, you might be dealing with a hardened blade... My blade is a S30V steel. Incredibly hard.

sdmc530
11-30-2015, 08:31 PM
as already states the sharpemaker is a great tool! Used to keep sharp things sharp but it is not for making an edge....so start with a flat stone, get a good edge and finish on the sharpmaker.

Jim is right on the money with what's pictured....

Caleb
11-30-2015, 08:54 PM
I'll ask the question... what type of knife are you trying to sharpen? particularly.... what Steel? I have a Zero Tolerance blade that is so hardened that my Wicked Sharp system takes forever to set that "paper slicing" edge.

Rather than the system, you might be dealing with a hardened blade... My blade is a S30V steel. Incredibly hard.

This......what's the steel in said knife.