PDA

View Full Version : My Marine Corps Nostalgia.

BlackKnight
10-18-2014, 12:45 PM
30 years ago today I got off the bus and stepped on the yellow footprints. While I, unfortunately did not make it, the lesson learned were invaluable and are still with me today. The lessons of loyalty, perseverance, and fortitude I still carry to this day. Undoubtedly that experience has pushed me to accomplish everything I’ve put my hands on and has made me who I am today.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/aburena/Image_zps537749b8.jpg

Riverpigusmc
10-18-2014, 08:04 PM
3rd Herd :p

at least ya weren't in long enough to pick up any bad habits :)

MPDC
10-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Plt 3014, May-July, 1966, MCRD, PISC

SDI , SSGT. Barotti.

We yelled "Gung Ho" because Ooh Rah was unheard of back then, 'cept for "doggies". :D

Oh yeah, we had a "little red book" not like that one.

pony up
10-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Semper Fi. Went to the range today with my brother in law.; We spent the day with memories of our USMC adventures ( some 12 years apart) fitted neatly around a coupe of hundred rounds through my new to me WC CQB Elite Super 38 and a couple hundred through my WC Professional. We are visiting in Charlotte on the annual fall migration back to the land of the early bird special for the winter, er, until Nov. 3rd when we head for Seattle to squeeze the grandbabies till, Jan and then back for the winter. The Super 38, as has been reported, is a great round and the pistol is right now my favorite to shoot. I surprised myself how well I shot it. Pictures early in the week.. Thanks for the yellow footprints adding to my great day.

BlackKnight
10-18-2014, 09:00 PM
What's depressing and I get nostalgic is the fact I made it to third phase was getting my uniform and preparing for final inspection. All to get sidelined by a breathing problem and since I went in with a medical waiver it bit me in the butt.
After out processing I came home 11 Jan 85. My platoon graduated 18 Jan 85.

MPDC
10-18-2014, 09:57 PM
What's depressing and I get nostalgic is the fact I made it to third phase was getting my uniform and preparing for final inspection. All to get sidelined by a breathing problem and since I went in with a medical waiver it bit me in the butt.
After out processing I came home 11 Jan 85. My platoon graduated 18 Jan 85.

Close enough, Brother. Catholics would call it "Baptism of Desire". Clyde

Besides, you mighta ended up a "Wingwiper" , like me! :p

brownie
10-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Mine was a little red book as well. 2080, Nov 69

Snipersnest
10-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Plt. 157, Parris Island, the 1st Battalion was known as "Blood & Guts", the 2nd Battalion was known as the "Twilight Zone" and the 3rd Battalion was known as "Disneyland". We graduated September 19th, 1964, then went on to ITR, Camp Lejeune. My Marine Guidebook was green. We qualified with the M-14 at 900 meters back then.

BlackKnight
10-19-2014, 10:26 AM
At least you guys served. One day on my death bed the one regret I'll have is this.

Gatorade
10-19-2014, 11:04 AM
At least you guys served. One day on my death bed the one regret I'll have is this.

You should have no regrets in my book, you are serving your community and by extension your country right now with your department.

I never served and am probably 5-6 years behind you. It was a peaceful time in our country and service was not as high a priority for me. Terrorists were people we made jokes about in Back to the Future movies.

So at least you had the pure desire to serve.

Snipersnest
10-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Tony you have no reason to regret not graduating. Had you not had the medical issue I'm positive you'd have graduated and would have made an outstanding Marine! Although you weren't able to attain the title, you're still my brother simply by the job you now hold and the position you've attained while performing that job. I'd share a fighting hole with you any day!

DrHenley
10-19-2014, 12:51 PM
I can relate Tony. I tried to enlist in '71, but they 4F'd me.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=887

sstpierre
10-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Have no regrets about this my friend! Your heart has always been in the right place, and the decision was out of your hands. Your service to community is just as important, as you are certainly one of the good guys!

Have comfort in your accomplishments, and know it was because of your desire, you rose to heights some of us could not handle, nor would sign up for... Your a special kind of person, the work you do, and have done, is enormously appreciated!

-scott

NAMVET72
10-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Tony you tried your hardest to make it all the way thru be Proud I agree with Herb I would have you in a Fox Hole with me.

Clyde

BlackKnight
10-19-2014, 04:16 PM
I know you guys did not make your statements lightly. I don't know what to say, except thank you. I'm honored and humbled.

MPDC
10-19-2014, 04:35 PM
You should have no regrets in my book, you are serving your community and by extension your country right now with your department.

I never served and am probably 5-6 years behind you. It was a peaceful time in our country and service was not as high a priority for me. Terrorists were people we made jokes about in Back to the Future movies.

So at least you had the pure desire to serve.

Agree, no shame in trying and having a health issue sideline you. My years as an LEO were service too and still makes us brothers. We may all have to serve again, things here don't look great for a time of peace and if they think we were willing to go to a foreign s---hole, wait til they see our resolve on our own soil!

Riverpigusmc
10-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Hey y'all...let's get together and kill the hell outta something for nostalgia's sake :D

BlackKnight
10-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Hey y'all...let's get together and kill the hell outta something for nostalgia's sake :D

I'm in. I have an idea. Let's go raid Mrs. Baird's bread corporate headquarters. ;)

RKP
10-19-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm in. I have an idea. Let's go raid Mrs. Baird's bread corporate headquarters. ;)

:insane: .... :D!!

Riverpigusmc
10-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Deal. I'll handle the long range suppression, we'll send Ellison in with a buttplug bomb, Doc can patch up our guys, and you and doughnut arrest and brutalize their survivors

Gatorade
10-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Deal. I'll handle the long range suppression, we'll send Ellison in with a buttplug bomb, Doc can patch up our guys, and you and doughnut arrest and brutalize their survivors

I love it when a plan comes together!

skosh69
10-19-2014, 09:07 PM
WTH????? How the hell did I get pulled into this??? And with one of pigs favorite sexual devices no less????

Riverpigusmc
10-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Least we didn't run a tank up your monkey a** :p