PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS Range report

DaFadda
10-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone,
I had the opportunity to take possession of two new (to me) handguns this week. This is the Walther PPS report. The other firearm is a Glock 30. That review is coming after I finish this one. I didn't take pictures, but then again... the guns are not brand new, nor am I particularly handsome. That said.... here's what I found:

Smith and Wesson Walther PPS: Cost: Right around the $250 mark. Part of a two pistol, one rifle package so I'm estimating here. This handgun has been around for awhile, first hitting the US market about 8 or nine years ago. The Smith and Wesson logo has been removed since 2012/13 when WaltherArms took over production. This firearm was purchased used, and was manufactured in 2010. It was uncleaned and dusty from holster dust when I took possession. Bore is now bright and pretty, as is the rest of the gun. Manufacturing quality is very good to excellent. No machining marks, no hard edges.

There is no manual safety and no child locking mechanism. There is an incredibly noticeable red "cocked" indicator that I found distracting at first, then came to quickly appreciate. It is on the back of the slide, just below the rear sights. It protrudes when the gun is cocked. There is no mistaking as to the firing condition of the firearm.

Magazine Release: No standard push button here. This firearm has a European style "paddle release" which is formed around the bottom of the trigger guard. I wasn't sure I would like it, but after a couple of magazines I found it to be very natural to drop the magazine by using my left thumb as I reached for another mag. Magazines dropped quickly and freely. I could also release with the middle finger of my right hand. It would take practice to commit it to muscle memory, but.... it's a nice feature.

Cleaning and maintenance: If you know how to disassemble a Glock, then you know how to disassemble this one.

Shooting: This is NOT a gun that will be a range favorite for me. Its in 40 caliber, which is not my favorite round to begin with. It's recoil is "snappy." After three magazines, the web of my right hand was stinging a bit. After the fifth magazine, the web of my hand was red. If I shot it anymore, I think I would have developed blisters. Once I get the larger palm swell backstrap, it might change my opinion a little bit. But not much. My shooting suffered because of the chafing and pain. I'm an experienced shooter, and had no problem controlling the little beast, but I would not suggest this to anyone in 40 cal. The weapon is also offered in 9mm, and I can imagine that it would be much easier to shoot for extended practice.

Customer Service: Superb. I called Walther to find out what year the firearm was manufactured. 2010. I asked for a owners manual. Already in the mail. I asked for several free magazines. (Wellllll.... do you blame me????) Didn't get two free, but they gave me a substantial discount on a seven rounder, and threw in a six rounder at no charge. The magazines cost about $50 each at retail. So, two mags cost me about $40, free shipping. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Holsters: It came with an OWB plastic holster. I won't use it. The pickings are slim for "in stock" holsters for this weapon. I ordered a Romera holster last evening.

Which brings me to the conclusion: I didn't buy this gun to put holes in targets on the range. I bicycle an average of 60 miles a week, sometimes in "not so safe" areas of town. What I was looking for was a highly concealable double action/striker fired firearm, at a reasonable cost, that wouldn't rust, that was lightweight and would fit and stay inside my bike shorts (TMI here, but yes, I DO wear spandex! ROFL). This little Walther PPS will certainly do all of the above. In the event of a true emergency, my guess is that I'll never notice the stinging in the web of my hand....until I'm safe again at home.

Would I purchase this gun again? At the price point I paid, and for what the gun is. Absolutely. IF I were going to purchase new, I would look at one in 9mm. 380 is probably the best round for this size pistol, but the nine would work just fine.

RKP
10-31-2014, 07:45 AM
Great and informative write-up :)

DrHenley
10-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Nice WRITE UP but...
:pics:

Here let me help you with some stock photos.
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/01/12/274222_02_walther_pps_40_640.jpg

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Imgp5371.jpg

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=887

DaFadda
10-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Thank you Jim!

Caleb
10-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Great write up, been looking at one of these. Wish I could find one at your price!