PDA

View Full Version : Range Report G30 Gen 2

DaFadda
10-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Second range report. First one was on the Walther PPS. This one is on the Glock 30, 45 acp. 10 round magazine. Generation 2.5 (Has finger grooves, but not a rail) Glock made some like this during the transition to Gen 3. Price is in the $250 range.

What can I say. It's a Glock. Its a brick. Its Glugly looking. This particular firearm was manufactured in 1997. So it's 17 years old. It's 45 acp.

And its all good. I think doing a range report on a 17 year old gun is valuable in that we all know what people say about a NEW gun.... but what does it do for us today, in our hands, as "normal" gun owners after some years.

There are no marks on the gun. NONE. No scratches, no dings, nothing. The bore was brilliant after its initial cleaning and inspection. Included in the case was a older slide release that had lost some of its coating, but obviously it had been replaced. Came with one ten round mag.

Shooting. After 5 magazines, All I had left to shoot at in the 10 ring was one jagged hole. Absolutely no stray shots. The double stack magazine in 45 made the grip too thick for my hands, but it didn't effect my shooting accuracy as much as the Walther PPS's grip affected my shooting.

Internals were spotless, standard Glock quality. I wouldn't use this for bicycle riding, it's almost twice as thick as the Walther PPS, and probably twice the weight. I don't see it as having a place in my IWB carry either. I DO see it for its original intended use: The semi auto under the Detective's jacket. This is no ankle holster gun.

Recoil was exactly what I've come to love from the 45. A gentle, but firm "push" back into my hand. Up against the smaller PPS, there is no comparison. The Glock shoots and feels better.

As I said in my PPS report, I was looking for a polymer frame, lightweight striker fired pistol to keep with me while I bike ride. My friends.... This one ain't it! I wouldn't even carry this in the winter under my coat unless I had to. Not because its not accurate, but because of its thickness and weight, I would rather carry a 1911 variant.

Customer Service: Hats off to Glock in GA!! I can send the gun directly to them for free "inspection and upgrade." They will look the gun over, replace all worn parts. They told me: "If its black and inside the action, it will be replaced with new parts." Which is pretty much all the internals. If I want to upgrade the frame to a rail gun, they'll do that for $100.

Glock also passed the "free magazine" test. "So.... this came with one magazine. Any chance you can send me another one as a courtesy?".... Answer: "Not for the G30, but I got a few G21 mags sitting at my desk, would you like them?" The Glock 21 mags fit and fire flawlessly. I brought four from my secret Glock stash to the range with me.

Manual, free mags, free upgrade and whatever else the Customer care people can send. Not bad. Not bad at all.....

So what can I say about this Glock? Its going to be a great nightstand firearm, and one that my wife will probably enjoy shooting too. Yes, its a keeper, especially at the price point.

Thanks for reading this through!
DaFadda

sdmc530
10-31-2014, 10:16 AM
nice write up padre!

RKP
10-31-2014, 10:32 AM
nice write up padre!

^ This ! :)

Caleb
10-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Man, where are you getting these guns for so cheap? Lol....nice write up, again Sir.

DaFadda
10-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Man, where are you getting these guns for so cheap? Lol....nice write up, again Sir.

Clean living.... and being in the right place at the right time Caleb!

ronpaul50
10-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Nice write up. But a
glock...

milkmanjoe
10-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Real nice write-up, Mike......The G30 was a pet project of Gaston Glock. Whatever he did those G30's are fabulously accurate. I had a 2006 G30 that I had the grip reduced by Lane Owens. The gun shot like a dream, with more of a bulky 1911 grip after the reduction. Sold it to a friend who still has it and carries it daily. Good luck with that G30, it's a keeper.

BTW----I got $650 for mine with five extra mags. My friend set the price. You could probably do well with a Gen 2 if you ever sell.

skosh69
11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Nice write up. But a
glock...

This ^^^ :D

And where are the pics????

:pics:

brownie
11-02-2014, 07:02 AM
Glad you like it, as Joe mentioned, the g30's are tack drivers.

dw1911
11-02-2014, 10:13 AM
:pics: