PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Project

Caleb
11-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Thinking about putting together a SPR in the AR platform. For costs of ammo, it will most likely be chambered in 5.56. Looking to get out to at least 300 as close as possible to 1 MOA....so, 3" groups at 300yds.

18" SS barrel, non-bull in 1-8 twist. Rifle gas system, no irons, scoped, most likely a fixed stock for more rigidity, free-floated lightweight handguard, comp at the business end, no fancy do-dads, bi-pod, might do a billet lower and upper for more rigidity, two stage adjustable trigger........

What are your thoughts on such a rig? Remember, this is not a battle rifle, just for fun plinking.

sdmc530
11-04-2014, 02:26 PM
I think I have not any constructive critisizm for you build, however don't forget the light, knife, tazer, bike pump, waffle maker, coke machine, glasses cleaner, spare tire, condom, 37 extra mag holder, and of course a umbrella.
Other than that I think you got her nailed down!

Caleb
11-04-2014, 03:22 PM
:banhim:I think I have not any constructive critisizm for you build, however don't forget the light, knife, tazer, bike pump, waffle maker, coke machine, glasses cleaner, spare tire, condom, 37 extra mag holder, and of course a umbrella.

funny Uhm,..........NO.

Gatorade
11-04-2014, 05:52 PM
I think I have not any constructive critisizm for you build, however don't forget the light, knife, tazer, bike pump, waffle maker, coke machine, glasses cleaner, spare tire, condom, 37 extra mag holder, and of course a umbrella.

Crap, now I have to buy a bike.

sdmc530
11-04-2014, 06:31 PM
You don't have a bike.....shame shame....

This has been thread jacked so back to the OP's question.

Really Caleb I think you are doing fine. The only thing I would maybe do is put a longer barrel on it because you can reach out a bit further. If its going to be a play gun this may not be the most econmical choice but I think your blueprints are really good.

Sheepdog
11-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Sounds good to me.

Caleb
11-05-2014, 06:31 PM
You don't have a bike.....shame shame....

This has been thread jacked so back to the OP's question.

Really Caleb I think you are doing fine. The only thing I would maybe do is put a longer barrel on it because you can reach out a bit further. If its going to be a play gun this may not be the most econmical choice but I think your blueprints are really good.

I'm not so sure 2"s will get me any more accuracy....?.....but, it will put more weight on the rifle. You only get about 60fps more from an 18" vs a 16". So, a 20" will probably get a tad more fps. Which will help at longer ranges but, at 300 its not enough to justify the extra weight and length.

jmlutz
11-05-2014, 06:53 PM
I think 16"s are just fine, never had an accuracy issue.

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/jmlutz/Picture472.jpg

Shot at 100 yards with an A3 Commando I built.

Caleb
11-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Nice ^^^^^^^^^^

skosh69
11-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Something like one of these???

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/redneck_swiss_army_gun_zps570d24c6.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/skosh1/media/redneck_swiss_army_gun_zps570d24c6.jpg.html)

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/tacticoolAR15_zps0fdbee3c.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/skosh1/media/tacticoolAR15_zps0fdbee3c.jpg.html)

sdmc530
11-06-2014, 09:34 AM
I think 16"s are just fine, never had an accuracy issue.

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/jmlutz/Picture472.jpg

Shot at 100 yards with an A3 Commando I built.

jeesh, has so much money shooting it up :p

BlackKnight
11-06-2014, 11:25 AM
16" and 18" are just fine, imo. I had a friend who built an AR on a 16" barrel and took it a sniper competition with me. He was making successful hits at 500 yards.
Any farther than that then I would recommend a heavier caliber.

sdmc530
11-06-2014, 01:06 PM
16" and 18" are just fine, imo. I had a friend who built an AR on a 16" barrel and took it a sniper competition with me. He was making successful hits at 500 yards.

wow 500 yards, I can not even think out that far! Super cool. We have range that goes to 1000 yards, I took a buddies rifle set up for the course and tried at 600 yards couldn't hit SH*T....very cool to hit something that far out!

BlackKnight
11-06-2014, 01:18 PM
wow 500 yards, I can not even think out that far! Super cool. We have range that goes to 1000 yards, I took a buddies rifle set up for the course and tried at 600 yards couldn't hit SH*T....very cool to hit something that far out!
I got lucky. I hit a bowling pin at 600 yards, known distance. Another time at a timed event, unknown distance, I manged to range and hit a steel plate the size of a torso, also at 600 yards. Both with a scoped rifle.
That's a warmup distance for someone like pig, though.

Caleb
11-06-2014, 01:30 PM

Yup, 500 would be a stretch. Not really any ranges out here that are past 300yds without doing a "special" event ($$$$$). So, at 300yds I think i will be just fine with the 16" or 18".

Caleb
11-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Oh Tony.... What power scope did you guys run?

BlackKnight
11-06-2014, 01:37 PM

I ran a Luepold Mk 4 3.5 X 10. But, that was more set up for the. .308. He ran something diferent. He's since retired. I'll find out, though.

pony up
11-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Way way way back in the middle of the last century the USMC took my dead eye dick 22 caliber bolt action rifle away from me in exchange for a skunk greased, nearly 11 lb. w/ bayonet (the only attachment) piece of iron sighted ugliness, named the M1 with the instructions to be careful of my thumb. I was still trying to figure out how not to be one of the last 5 recruits down the ladder at 5am thereby earning the privilege of running circles around the platoon during our still dark 2 mile "build an appetite" run before breakfast. A few weeks work on the boat anchor turned it into fine looking weapon. I was proud when my Drill Instructor took my stocks for his rifle when we graduated. I had no idea what a wonderful piece it was until we hit the rifle range and I surprisingly found I could center punch Baker targets not only prone but standing offhand from the 500 yard line. My DI thought it was a stupid pet trick to show up other DI's. It was the rifle not the shooter, although everything my dad had taught me about safety and marksmanship were gospel. Today's weapons are so different. Are they as much better as I think and as they look? I need to find out. I have been away from long guns for way to long.. Congrats on your build. Do NOT forget the chocolate s'moores attachment. Everyone likes desert.

BlackKnight
11-06-2014, 04:25 PM

All right, I got an answer for you. My buddy used a Leupold 2.5 X 8.

Caleb
11-07-2014, 04:06 PM
I ran a Luepold Mk 4 3.5 X 10. But, that was more set up for the. .308. He ran something diferent. He's since retired. I'll find out, though.

All right, I got an answer for you. My buddy used a Leupold 2.5 X 8.

Ok thanks, I'm thinking I would run at least a 4 power. A 3 x 9 should be fine for my 300yd target.

Caleb
11-07-2014, 04:08 PM
I know the awesomeness of the M1, I have two.

Way way way back in the middle of the last century the USMC took my dead eye dick 22 caliber bolt action rifle away from me in exchange for a skunk greased, nearly 11 lb. w/ bayonet (the only attachment) piece of iron sighted ugliness, named the M1 with the instructions to be careful of my thumb. I was still trying to figure out how not to be one of the last 5 recruits down the ladder at 5am thereby earning the privilege of running circles around the platoon during our still dark 2 mile "build an appetite" run before breakfast. A few weeks work on the boat anchor turned it into fine looking weapon. I was proud when my Drill Instructor took my stocks for his rifle when we graduated. I had no idea what a wonderful piece it was until we hit the rifle range and I surprisingly found I could center punch Baker targets not only prone but standing offhand from the 500 yard line. My DI thought it was a stupid pet trick to show up other DI's. It was the rifle not the shooter, although everything my dad had taught me about safety and marksmanship were gospel. Today's weapons are so different. Are they as much better as I think and as they look? I need to find out. I have been away from long guns for way to long.. Congrats on your build. Do NOT forget the chocolate s'moores attachment. Everyone likes desert.