PDA

View Full Version : Milt Sparks VM2 for Commander 1911

Grizzman
12-13-2011, 12:25 AM
I received my Milt Sparks horsehide VM2 for commander sized 1911s a few days ago, so here's the beginning of a review on it. I'll start with a couple photos.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Leather/CCOinVM2.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Leather/CCO-VM2.jpg

The detailed boning of the hide was done was executed very nicely. There is only one spec of what I'd call character to the hide. The finish is very evenly applied, even more so than my horsehide OWB 60TK for government size 1911.

It's been raining all day, so I wasn't able able to go out to get good closeup photos.....hopefully before the weekend I'll be able to.

I chose 1 1/4" loops, as that's what I started using years ago, and haven't seen the need to change (and then likely need new belts to match well). I bought the clips for tucking over the holster with my G23 VM2, but never wore it tucked. I may try the clips on this one to see how it works out.

Once fully into the holster, there is no movement of the gun. It's difficult to describe the force needed to withdraw the gun, but it isn't "sticky" at all. I'm sure it'll get better after the hide stretches a little.

I ordered it in early June, so it took right at 6 months to arrive. It's a good thing I'm a patient man, cause that's a long time to wait for a piece of leather.

Quick update:

Finally put on the rig about 30 minutes ago, and I can already tell that it's gonna work out just fine. It doesn't shift around as I go about my typical activities. I'm wearing an odd thin but lined, long sleeved, pullover thing, and concealment is guaranteed.

I've only drawn it about 5 times so far, but it comes out smoothly. The metal reinforced mouth keeps the holster from closing, so reholstering it is a simple matter of sliding it back in.

Nothing but good news so far, well except for that 6 month wait and the non-bargain price.

Grizz

BadOscar
12-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Looking forward to it Grizz.

sdmc530
12-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Nice rig, like the textured grips too..very sharp grizz

Snipersnest
12-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Nice rig Grizz, how long a wait was it?

Grizzman
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
More info added to the original post. Maybe I'll be able to start carrying it tomorrow (darn work and their stupid carry restriction).

Originally I didn't think the stippling on the grips was gonna be rough enough, considering the mild chainlink pattern to the MSH and frontstrap. It actually works out very well, and doesn't grab onto cloth like standard checkering......works very well indeed for CC.

Grizz

Grizzman
12-29-2011, 10:20 PM
The VM2 is breaking in nicely. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of the dual mag pouch....yet. Even with mags inserted 24X7, it still takes quite a bit of force to insert a mag. Removing it while on my hip is next to impossible.

I'm now stretching them out further, so the issue should be resolved soon.

Grizz

Sheepdog
12-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Good looking rig!

Grizzman
12-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks Scott.

I can now smoothly slide them in and out. I'll call that a success.

Grizz

oldrifleman
12-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I have one for my DW CBOB and love it. Steven

ABC3
01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Grizzman,

I have several of the VM2's for Commanders as well as Gov models and believe me when I say, you will learn to love em. A great holster from a very fine "maker".

You just need to place your second order now so the wait won't seem so long while you play with this one.

Congrat's