PDA

View Full Version : CZ Dan Wesson or Fusion, or older DW?

DaFadda
12-23-2011, 06:42 AM
I've got the "buy a gun" itch again, and am thinking... Pre CZ? Post CZ? Fusion? or older Dan Wesson. Figure you folks will have an opinion.
Thanks in advance,
DaFadda

zenfly
12-23-2011, 11:02 AM
All the Dan Wesson's I bought have gone up in value.. They're all good investments if you buy them right.. They have also improved over the yrs.
and I don't think you can get much better than a Valor or VBOB at any price..

douglas_knott
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh don't bring up that F word. I can hear Alan now. Lol.

douglas_knott
12-23-2011, 11:26 AM
I say post Dan Wesson. Real good guns imo.

MajO
12-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Oh don't bring up that F word. I can hear Alan now. Lol.

Do you mean

FUSION....FUSION...FUSION :mob:

:facepalm:

Mike45
12-23-2011, 02:05 PM
One exception does not make a rule but Alan did have a really bad experience with Fusion.

I had some problems with them on a couple of major parts orders. Based on this and Alan's experience I do not think I would/could ever recommend a Fusion.

jmlutz
12-23-2011, 03:10 PM
A new DW Guardian, V-Bob, Valor, or CCO would serve you very well. I've got an 09 Valor and a 2010 CCO, they are both just fantastic pistols. Mike

BadOscar
12-23-2011, 05:31 PM
It's hard to go wrong with a DW, even the older ones are exceptional guns. Pre-CZ guns don't have such high quality small parts as new ones and most have cast frames. But DW's are generally consistently super tight with regards to the slide to frame fit.

DaFadda
12-23-2011, 05:32 PM
What worries me about the Fusion firearms is that they not only sell complete pistols, but they sell the frames and slides in kit form. So.... a rank amateur basement gunsmith (that would be me IF I was being gracious in my description) could build a Fusion "kit," and I.... being the buyer, wouldn't really know if it was factory built or a numbskull build. At least from what I know at this point.

Please don't send the lynch mob :mob: after me :mob: I'm interested in getting a DW, and the Fusions are built by the previous leader of DW.... so he knows about 1911s.

Putting Fusion aside, the question is now down to: PRE CZ DW.... or a CZDW? Which would be more reliable, a better build, a better investment? Although I shoot and carry my guns.... so much for the investment factor.

Dafadda

Mike45
12-23-2011, 05:38 PM
I you want to build a gun Caspian offers almost the same services as Fusion.

The difference being that Fusion seams to have more material options then Caspian but you can tweak a Caspian as much as you wallet can take.

jmlutz
12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Buy one of the new Dan Wesssons, they are so much better. Mike

BadOscar
12-23-2011, 06:16 PM
PRE CZ DW.... or a CZDW? Which would be more reliable, a better build, a better investment?

With those three criteria I lean towards the CZDW. You can't really say all the new ones are more reliable, there were guns that needed to go back for service Pre-CZ and there are guns that will need to go back now. But with a new CZDW there will not be any warranty issues, they will make it right. DW service is great.

Better build goes to CZDW, they are more polished now with forged frames and clearly have greater attention to detail and the small parts are better.

Better investment generally would be the CZDW, you don't find them cheap even used. However, some of the older guns that cost $600 in 2004 are being sold for twice the price today on the auction sites. Every once in a while some lucky guy posts how he just picked up an PM7, Ausi or Dave Pruitt at some hole in the wall shop at a 2004 era price. It's hard to beat an investment that the day you buy it it's value increases 100%. But some of the older ones are not as popular so you need to know what your looking for if you are concerned about what it's resale value would be.

Sheepdog
12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
I agree that the "New" CZ's are the best Dan Wesson's so far. I have Dan Wesson's from all three groups and they have all preformed flawlessly for me. Though I have never had need to take advantage of their customer service, I have heard it is superb, even on gun's that were made pre-CZ.

I have no experience with Fussion's, but have had problems with some of their parts. To Quote someone who's opinion I do greatly respect " Friends don't let friends buy Fussion's."

douglas_knott
12-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Now talking about builds, look into Remsport slides and frames.

DaFadda
12-24-2011, 06:45 AM
not interested in building a gun. looking for a DW tho. What say you folks to the Guardian? vs. the CCO?

Mike45
12-24-2011, 09:52 AM
I have a Guardian in 9mm and I love it. :rock:

I did have some problems with the factory mags as they would launch a live round out of the slide at the same time as it was ejecting a case. I purchased some new Checkmate mags and the problem went a way.

I love the way that the gun carries as it is super comfortable in a IWB and what was surprising is that when I carry it in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster I forget that it is even on :eek:

The gun shoots like a dream, I can hit anything that I aim at and in very tight groups.

The only complaint that I have is that the extractor is not blended very well at the back of the slide. Sometimes I wonder if the gun shop sold me a blem.

As far as the CCO........ I will let you know in a couple of week. :D

MPrimo
12-24-2011, 09:22 PM
not interested in building a gun. looking for a DW tho. What say you folks to the Guardian? vs. the CCO?

Michael, I have both so you are welcome to try them out. It will not make your choice any easier as both are exceptional. Christmas has been nuts but next week is fairly open. I will give you a shout early in the week.

Mike