PDA

View Full Version : New Para Expert Commander

flphotog
12-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Well I've read good and bad about Para Ordnance(Para USA). Mostly good lately.
I've seen a few very good ones lately so taking the plunge.
Should have a new Para Expert Commander in my hands on Wed so I'll post pics when I get it and at least a brief range report the following week. This will be a carry weapon so I won't be tuning the trigger like I usually do on 1911's. Maybe a bit of smoothing and eliminating any creep if there is any, all this is yet to be determined.

MPDC
12-14-2014, 11:42 AM
:)Enjoy it. Hope you draw a really great one.:)

Caleb
12-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Congrats, can't wait to see it.

MajO
12-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Congratulations and good luck with your new pistol.

RKP
12-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Congrats and looking forward to the range report on it. :cool:

milkmanjoe
12-14-2014, 01:36 PM
I came close to buying one...Warthog?.....Good luck with your new one.

brownie
12-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Yes, I'll be interested in the range report myself. I've not trusted para anything since they moved their operation to NC.

flphotog
12-15-2014, 02:16 PM
I came close to buying one...Warthog?.....Good luck with your new one.

I did look at the Warthog but it's a bit smaller than I was looking for if I remember correctly. That one has the 3" barrel, doesn't it?

flphotog
12-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Yes, I'll be interested in the range report myself. I've not trusted para anything since they moved their operation to NC.

This could be a situation like Auto Ordnance, pre Kahr and post Kahr. I have no experience pre Kahr but have heard nothing but bad. Post Kahr, I do have one and it's been a great shooter.
So we'll see, looks like I won't be able to make it to the range until next week but that will be the latest.

Caleb
12-15-2014, 08:47 PM
I have always been drawn in by the Black Ops double stack model. Just can't get myself to take the chance. Hope you get a great one!

flphotog
12-15-2014, 09:24 PM
I have always been drawn in by the Black Ops double stack model. Just can't get myself to take the chance. Hope you get a great one!

I was originally going for a double stack but at the last minute decided to stick with a single stack mostly for the Concealability factor. All of my current carries are double stack except for my PPS so I thought another single stack wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'll let you all know how it goes once I get it to the range.

flphotog
12-17-2014, 03:26 PM
First for a couple of pics:
http://i.imgur.com/uAKk70u.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gS5SSjG.jpg

Just got it home and did a quick clean and lube so this very initial stuff.
Fit and finish is excellent. Take down is exactly like a standard 1911, unlike at least one other one that I've heard or.
At first glance I really have only one minor complaint and that is that there is a bit of creep on the trigger and in a 1911 I can't live with that so after a range trip tomorrow I'll be getting rid of that.
The trigger is at about 5 lbs and as this will be a carry gun I'm going to leave that be, it may drop just a little bit when I remove the creep but I'm going to keep it at 5 lbs. Actually it is just a bit more than 5 so removing the creep will probably put it right at 5.
I'll post more after the range trip but that is about it for now. It's a good looking pistol and seems to be solid and well made. Time will tell but I'm happy so far.

skosh69
12-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Interesting sight combo, FO front with a GI style rear. How is the sight picture?

Xbonz
12-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Congrat's. Looks nice.. Now the range report please :)

brownie
12-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Watch the fiber optic insert closely. I've had two fall out and go missing during training. Won't entertain another one on the front sight of a sd firearm.

flphotog
12-18-2014, 12:04 PM
More later, but just quickly, it was flawless, shot 10 rds of FMJ and another 50 of HP with no issue whatsoever.
As for the fiber optic that is a good point. The sight picture is ok but not great so I've already decided to change the rear sight probably with something from Dawson, the one I'd like to use they have discontinued so I'll need to take a look at what they have replaced it with probably after the first of the year.
Jim has my holster on the way as we speak but I'll need a couple more range trips for a little more testing anyway.

More later got to go give my friends dog a bath.

RKP
12-18-2014, 12:16 PM
More later, but just quickly, it was flawless, shot 10 rds of FMJ and another 50 of HP with no issue whatsoever ......

Sounds like a good day ! :cool:

Caleb
12-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Watch the fiber optic insert closely. I've had two fall out and go missing during training. Won't entertain another one on the front sight of a sd firearm.

Says the man that does not even use sights! See, the sights know they are not wanted so they leave. funny

Caleb
12-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I was originally going for a double stack but at the last minute decided to stick with a single stack mostly for the Concealability factor. All of my current carries are double stack except for my PPS so I thought another single stack wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'll let you all know how it goes once I get it to the range.

How do you like that pps?

flphotog
12-18-2014, 02:45 PM
How do you like that pps?

The PPS is great for it's size. Which actually says a lot. It's extremely easy to carry and conceal. It's accurate considering its sight radius. It's a keeper because of it's size and it's been 100% reliable. If you are looking for a small gun I don't think you could beat it. That being said if at all possible I carry something larger.

Caleb
12-18-2014, 03:09 PM
The PPS is great for it's size. Which actually says a lot. It's extremely easy to carry and conceal. It's accurate considering its sight radius. It's a keeper because of it's size and it's been 100% reliable. If you are looking for a small gun I don't think you could beat it. That being said if at all possible I carry something larger.

Thanks, I'm looking for something smaller/lighter to carry in the summer months when shorts are a must in the heat of Florida. Thanks for the report.