PDA

View Full Version : SR1911 Talo Night Watchman Initial Review

Olympus
12-15-2014, 07:15 PM
My full size Talo Night Watchman just arrived today and I thought I would give my initial impressions of the gun.

Right out of the box, the gun is a looker! Aesthetics are a subjective matter, but I couldn't stand the look of the regular model with the black small parts. Just looked mismatched and out of place. So the Night Watchman is a HUGE improvement to my eyes in the all black. The finish is VERY nice. I don't know how durable it will be, but it looks very nice. It's even and deep and the slide matches the frame perfectly. The grips are a blackish/gray color that look black in some light and more gray in other light. They match the overall scheme of the pistol nicely.

Handling the pistol, I noticed my first let down. The grip safety has noticeable side to side slop. There's a lot at the pin area and then even more noticeable down at the speed bump. I'd say this level of fit is on par with some of the lower RIA guns I've sold. At this price point, I expected better from Ruger. The sights are true Novak brand night sights and they are very nice. The front is a single dot and the rear has two dots. They are very bright.

I stripped the pistol for the initial clean and lube and found my second let down. Inside the slide where the top of the barrel would fit, I found some pretty significant rust. I also found rust inside the recoil lugs. I cleaned and wiped away the rust and applied a nice coat of oil. But again, at this price point and being a brand new out of the box gun, I would not be please with finding rust on my gun. Especially a stainless steel gun. To me, this indicates a lower quality stainless steel with a higher amount of carbon in the steel. Aside from the rust, everything else looked to be very nice. The gun feels adequately tight, nothing that I would comment to say this thing is Dan Wesson tight, but it's also not something I would comment about saying it's loose. I'd call it exactly what I'd expect from a gun at this price point.

After cleaning, lubing, and reassembling, I ran into my third and biggest let down. The trigger was exceptionally heavy. Now this isn't my first 1911 and I know better than expecting a 3.5lbs trigger from the factory and I know out of the box guns will be slightly heavier until they are broken in. So I say that in preface because this gun has a trigger that I would call absolutely horrible for a 1911. I put the gun in a vise and brought out my gauge and measured the pull. The pull is anywhere from 7.75 to 8lbs! Absolutely unacceptable to me in terms of a 1911. Now I know the gun will lighten up as it gets broke in, but I know better than to expect a 4lbs improvement just from breaking in. I might get the gun down to 6lbs after break in, but I don't expect more than that and that's still way to heavy for a broken-in 1911 with no firing pin safety mechanism to operate.

So my initial impressions are that the gun is extremely good looking with a loose grip safety, possibly prone to rust if not oiled regularly, and has the worst trigger I've ever seen on a 1911. Based on this example alone and considering the retail price of $775 to $800 that I'm seeing, my recommendation is PASS unless you're just interested in the looks. There are plenty of other models in this price range that I think are a better buy. I'll have some photos up tomorrow hopefully.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b506/luckypennygunsales/Guns/PC160058_zps49035338.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/luckypennygunsales/media/Guns/PC160058_zps49035338.jpg.html)

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b506/luckypennygunsales/Guns/PC160060_zps35687250.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/luckypennygunsales/media/Guns/PC160060_zps35687250.jpg.html)

Xbonz
12-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the review. Sorry you're not overly pleased with the purchase. Are you going to call Ruger and complain?

MajO
12-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the review. Sorry you're not overly pleased with the purchase. Are you going to call Ruger and complain?

:eek: This ^^^^^. I would most definitely call Ruger and strongly complain.....about everything. I hope that they stand behind their product.
:banghead: Good luck.

RKP
12-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the honest write-up, I think I'd be somewhat disappointed as well, hopefully Ruger will bring it up to snuff for you.
Keep us posted.

sdmc530
12-15-2014, 07:50 PM
CALL Ruger for sure...they should help you out. Keep us posted too.

Olympus
12-15-2014, 07:51 PM
I may give them a call this week in regards to the grip safety and the trigger. I might bring up the rust as a point of concern for future reference, but I keep my guns well oiled so I'm sure I can prevent further rust.

Lonestar grips.
12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Ruger's customer service is usually very top notch so i'm sure they will help you out Adam.

I don't know when the Night watchman was released but it's been my experience (with sixguns) that the first few runs of special edition guns from Ruger will have some kinks in them, after a while the kinks get worked out and most of the guns sold are just fine.

not that that's right of course but you might try one again in three or four months.

skosh69
12-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Pics...where are the pics.

No offense, but any handgun with a name that long is suspect.

We have one Ruger, an SR 22 that I bought on a whim when it first came out. It's cute and that's about all I can say about that.

Olympus
12-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Ruger's customer service is usually very top notch so i'm sure they will help you out Adam.

I don't know when the Night watchman was released but it's been my experience (with sixguns) that the first few runs of special edition guns from Ruger will have some kinks in them, after a while the kinks get worked out and most of the guns sold are just fine.

not that that's right of course but you might try one again in three or four months.

As far as I can tell, the gun is the same as the regular sr1911 except cosmetically. Novak night sights, black oxide finish, and different grips are the only differences I see so far.

I'll be giving them a call for sure though.

Olympus
12-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Pics...where are the pics.

No offense, but any handgun with a name that long is suspect.

We have one Ruger, an SR 22 that I bought on a whim when it first came out. It's cute and that's about all I can say about that.

It was dark and rainy today. I'm planning on getting some photos tomorrow though.

Sheepdog
12-15-2014, 09:01 PM
:pics:

milkmanjoe
12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Ruger 1911's have been known to have rust problems. That makes me suspect to their process of making/finishing the gun. BUT, read all the forums and you will see they shoot very accurate.

Olympus
12-16-2014, 01:49 PM
If you're seeing rust on stainless steel, it usually means a lower quality stainless steel with more carbon steel in the metal.

Olympus
12-16-2014, 05:21 PM
I added a couple photos to the original post.

Xbonz
12-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Beautiful piece.. Best of luck with it.

Lonestar grips.
12-16-2014, 06:50 PM
it looks really nice! needs grips though:D

I wish Ruger had started out with a blued model instead of the stainless with black parts.

Olympus
12-16-2014, 07:19 PM
it looks really nice! needs grips though:D

I wish Ruger had started out with a blued model instead of the stainless with black parts.

I agree with both statements. I was going to make a set of desert ironwood grips for it tonight but it's cold here and I haven't been able to get warm. I didn't want to freeze in my little shop.

Lonestar grips.
12-16-2014, 07:45 PM
I agree with both statements. I was going to make a set of desert ironwood grips for it tonight but it's cold here and I haven't been able to get warm. I didn't want to freeze in my little shop.

I know what you mean, cold weather always slows things down here.

Olympus
12-16-2014, 08:03 PM
And my sawdust ventilation system sucks the heat right out along with the dust.

LittleGator
12-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the write up. Beautiful pistol. Hope the couple of issues work themselves out for you.

Olympus
12-31-2014, 01:02 PM
I put the first 3 mags of my SWC reloads through the gun just a few minutes ago.

The gun doesn't seem to want to feed them. Dropping the slide lock on a loaded mag feeds perfectly, but the slingshot method won't feed. It's like the round is feeding at too step is an angle and gets bound up. I can drop the mag and lock the slide open and raise the bottom of the jammed round and it will slide right in. I was getting about 2 to 3 FTFs each mag.

I know these reloads cycle fine in all the other 1911s I've had over the years. I'll probably head out to the range tomorrow and put several hundred more through the gun and see if that helps with the break in.

Caleb
12-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks for t ghost e range report, hope it clears up for you. Sure is a purdy pistol.

Olympus
01-01-2015, 06:23 PM
So I rang in the new year with a trip to the gun range at about 9AM this morning! I only took the Night Watchman and 300 rounds of ammo. I cleaned and relubed the gun before heading out to the range.

I continued to have the FTF malfunctions which I believe are called 3-point jams. Towards the end of the session, I noticed that the malfunctions were decreasing, but I was still average 1 or 2 per mag. The Ruger factory mag that came with the gun would rarely have an FTF though. I thinking that some additional break in might help cure this problem. But have I have several Mec Gar mags that I have never had any problems with and they seemed to have the highest rate of FTFs with this Ruger.

Another thing I noticed is that the recoil spring might be a little light. I was throwing brass into the next county. Much further than my 10mms throw their brass. I'm wondering if a stiffer recoil spring would have more power to chamber the rounds instead of causing a 3 point jam.

Other than the FTFs and throwing brass excessively far, I had no other problems with the gun. It shot very well and accuracy was very good. I shot from a rest also and noticed that the gun shoots left, so I'll need to drift the rear sight a little bit. The trigger is still heavier than I like, but I loaned my gauge out so I can't check it right now after a good range session under it's belt. I'll try to keep updating as it progresses since this is still a fairly new model without a lot of info on the forums.