PDA

View Full Version : An unreasonable and irrational passion.....

dwsmithjr
01-04-2015, 06:58 AM
Ever since they came out, I've had the ongoing love affair with the SIG GSR, the original, first run, notorious, infamous, GSR. In spite of all the reported issues, many of which I think were blown out of proportion (that's the addiction talking there), I've loved the gun.

There was a brief separation. I sold my first one which I bought early on for around $750 when they were going for $1100. I sold it because I had better, more traditional 1911s (like my 2008 Valor). However, in 2013, we reconciled and I bought another one with a lower serial number than my first one, then I bought another with a sub-600 serial number. I bought them because I remembered how much I like shooting the gun. The sub-600 guns had a different frame. I thought originally they were all Caspian guns, and later guns were not. I've found out though that both of mine were likely all Caspian frame and slide. I base this on the Caspian XR frames I've seen online. However, information from SIG is minimal. Those that know don't talk. Perhaps GGI will be able to tell me.

Both of these have been shipped to GGI for evaluation. The chosen one will undergo a facelift, perhaps a bit more. GGI will bring it into spec and make sure any manufacturing issues are dealt with. We'll see what happens. It will likely be a long, long process. We'll see how it goes.

Caleb
01-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Cool, waiting patiently for updates.

RKP
01-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Cool, waiting patiently for updates.

.... and along with some pics of the facelift as well. :)

dwsmithjr
01-10-2015, 07:10 AM
.... and along with some pics of the facelift as well. :)

...however, when it is done, I'll post pictures and some details of the work. I honestly have no idea how long it will take. I expect it will be a looonnnnnnggg time.

This is a process that sort of started early 2013. I had a Delta Elite that had been customized by a local smith. I had to sell it due to some personal issues going on in my life. When that cleared, I tried to buy it back to no avail. The local smith offered, actually strongly encouraged me, to buy another base gun and parts and let him build me one that would "blow the other one away". I bought the gun and parts and waited.

One year later, he told me he could not do the gun due to personal changes in his life. So, I had a gun and parts totaling around $1800 and no custom Delta. I contacted another smith to do the work, we had some conversations, I sent pictures, but then he went dark and I never heard from him again. As I found out later he had all sorts of stuff going on for him as well.

So, I decided to abort the project, sell the Delta and move on. However, I was not able to sell the parts. I now had $800 worth of part and no use for them. I started trying to figure out what to do with the parts to get some value for the money I had in them.

I contacted GGI when I saw some work they had done on another GSR. They agreed to do a rebuild with the parts I had. They are going to evaluate the two GSRs I have and pick one, then will do the build with the parts I supply. I'm not sure at this point what the cost will be, it depends on the evaluation. I'm hoping to know the cost and time frame soon. It rather hinges on those two pieces of information.

So far my experience around this build has been less than stellar. I'm also hoping GGi will turn that around for me. It could well be five years from start to finish beginning with the original attempt to buy back my first Delta, until this build is done.

Rick McC.
02-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Good luck; I hope all goes well for you this time!