COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Dremel Room (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   When is tight, too tight? What do you do? The Wilson Notch (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9463)

dwsmithjr 11-10-2014 05:36 PM

When is tight, too tight? What do you do? The Wilson Notch

My recent acquisition is a Dan Wesson PTM-B.

Today I disassembled it to lube and shoot. I could not, for the life of me get the barrel bushing out. It has a full length guide rod, just for information.

The slide catch is also particularly tight when the magazine is in place.

Any suggestions about removing the barrel bushing. I sprayed it with oil and tried lubing the part I could get at and moving it with the wrench. It really, really is difficult to move. I almost didn't get the gun back together and never did remove the bushing.

Riverpigusmc 11-10-2014 05:46 PM

If you can get the guide rod and recoil spring out, turn the bushing until the lugs are clear and use the barrel as a kind of slide hammer to GENTLY tap the bushing free. Had to do that on my Wilson the first few times

skosh69 11-10-2014 06:00 PM

Like many hand fit, custom builds the barrel bushing is tight as all get out. Here is the best piece of advice and way to take down a tight fitted gun. The example used is a Les Baer and the men doing the work are from ACW.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJhPari7dpc

RKP 11-10-2014 06:12 PM

GREAT info fellas ! :cool:

jmlutz 11-10-2014 07:41 PM

This post ought to be made into a sticky.You play with 1911's for years,you just pick up all the tricks over time,new owners can have hell sometimes.I hate to see someone putting an idiot mark on a fine new pistol the first few times they take it down.

RKP 11-10-2014 08:01 PM

^ ...... yeah, especially since I have a CCO coming from Dave and he's installed a EGW angle bored bushing/spring plug kit w/flush cut/45* crowned barrel in it and he's already warned me about the tight fit :eek:

pony up 11-10-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmlutz (Post 92895)
This post ought to be made into a sticky.You play with 1911's for years,you just pick up all the tricks over time,new owners can have hell sometimes.I hate to see someone putting an idiot mark on a fine new pistol the first few times they take it down.

They are called idiot marks because you do not have to be a newbie, they happen to idiots, too.. . I have been tearing down the 1911 since 1958. Way to many to count with only a 16 year education majoring in alcohol and sex. No so long ago I was in my recliner, feet up chatting with my wife, watching the Sox and field stripping my brand new SS Kimber Eclipse II for inspection and SLIP, my first scratch, ever. I still feel stupid. Spoiled by Wilson's tiny file treatment guide slot on the slide lock for the plunger and one split second of inattention. Ouch. It is not deep and not very noticeable but looks like the grand canyon to me and always will as a reminder.... even unloaded guns need and deserve respect and full attention.

PS- Do not use a pipe wrench as in one case I saw some time ago.......

jmlutz 11-10-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony up (Post 92899)
They are called idiot marks because you do not have to be a newbie, they happen to idiots, too.. . I have been tearing down the 1911 since 1958. Way to many to count with only a 16 year education majoring in alcohol and sex. No so long ago I was in my recliner, feet up chatting with my wife, watching the Sox and field stripping my brand new SS Kimber Eclipse II for inspection and SLIP, my first scratch, ever. I still feel stupid. Spoiled by Wilson's tiny file treatment guide slot on the slide lock for the plunger and one split second of inattention. Ouch. It is not deep and not very noticeable but looks like the grand canyon to me and always will as a reminder.... even unloaded guns need and deserve respect and full attention.

PS- Do not use a pipe wrench as in one case I saw some time ago.......

I know the feeling, the first time I put my Valor in the safe I ran it across the hilt guard on a bayonet I forgot I'd left on the shelf.It's just a light scratch,but I see it everytime I look at the pistol.

RKP 11-10-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony up (Post 92899)
...... PS- Do not use a pipe wrench as in one case I saw some time ago.......

:eek: .... :facepalm:

Riverpigusmc 11-10-2014 08:59 PM

y'all know you can put the Wilson notch on any slide stop with a needle file