COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   Dan Wesson (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Recommendations (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16825)

BlackKnight 11-14-2023 08:42 AM

Recommendations

Hey all,
This forum was built on being a Dan Wesson fan page. Finally going to pull the trigger on one. Been wanting to add one to my collection for a long time.
So, what should I get? What do you all recommend?

DrHenley 11-14-2023 08:54 AM

Well if you want to be 100% true to the forum, a Commander Classic, AKA CBOB. You know, the one in the COTEP logo. They are available on the market again.
The CBOB configuration got frozen in time by being on the California list. But for a while DW was only making them for the Cali market. They gave in to popular demand and began full production of it again.

Or if you want an updated version of it, the VBOB with a black duty coat.

For a full size, I would go for a Valor with duty coat.

Caleb 11-14-2023 10:32 AM

Heirloom 2023 In 38 Super.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/heirloom-2023/

sdmc530 11-14-2023 12:35 PM

Bruin....love that machine! On my wish list no doubt!

FfNJGTFO 11-14-2023 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHenley (Post 176380)
Well if you want to be 100% true to the forum, a Commander Classic, AKA CBOB. You know, the one in the COTEP logo. They are available on the market again.
The CBOB configuration got frozen in time by being on the California list. But for a while DW was only making them for the Cali market. They gave in to popular demand and began full production of it again.

Or if you want an updated version of it, the VBOB with a black duty coat.

For a full size, I would go for a Valor with duty coat.

If I may ask, does the "Wilson Combat" series play a role in re: the legacy of the forum? I know pig has a really nice one.

Or, was it strictly DW as the "enlightened" choice?

Riverpigusmc 11-14-2023 04:22 PM

I passed on a Pointman 9 years ago. Wish I hadn't. I don't care for the bobbed frame, YMMV

DrHenley 11-14-2023 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO (Post 176383)
If I may ask, does the "Wilson Combat" series play a role in re: the legacy of the forum? I know pig has a really nice one.

Or, was it strictly DW as the "enlightened" choice?

We were a jolly little subgroup on "The Big Forum" (1911forum.com) that sprang out of the DW section of that forum. Doc started sending "enlightened" members membeship cards.
We got too rowdy for the "unenlightened" and they ran us off, so we regrouped here.

Semper Paratus 11-14-2023 10:12 PM

Sounds about right

sdmc530 11-15-2023 11:12 AM

Tony,

DW does a LEO discount. I forgot how it works but you would obviously be eligible. I will as the guys how it works if anyone remembers. Might want to reach out to them too.

FfNJGTFO 11-15-2023 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHenley (Post 176385)
We were a jolly little subgroup on "The Big Forum" (1911forum.com) that sprang out of the DW section of that forum. Doc started sending "enlightened" members membership cards.
We got too rowdy for the "unenlightened" and they ran us off, so we regrouped here.

Fair enough. Thanks. I wish I had joined earlier and I might have gotten one of those membership cards. Ah well.

Speaking of Doc, I hope he's OK. Hasn't been on here in a while and I don't see any activity from him on FB either.

Would have been interesting to see what made the "unenlightened" run you guys off, but we'll let that sleeping dog lie.

OK, a DW CBOB it is. I was looking for a high end 1911 .45acp as I'm putting my one and only 1911 (an RIA full size) into the HD plan and I want something fun and solid to shoot for target practice, etc... Not that I dislike the Wilson Combat series... they're great and the one I shot with pig was fantastic. They're just a tad too expensive and you have to wait a half a year (if not more) for them.

Edit: I just checked Gunbroker and most of the CBOBs they have are "CA Compliant" (I gather that's California) so I'm not sure what that entails. I just know I want to stay away from it. I gather the bobtail has something to do with how you holster carry it and that it doesn't snag on things when you draw?

Also, would it be "blasphemy" to switch the grips to black diamond instead of wood?