COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   News and Politics (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Gun rights should cross state lines (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10092)

RKP 01-21-2015 04:48 PM

Gun rights should cross state lines

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2015/01/21/license-carry-like-license-drive-should-cross-state-lines/PUSIXRJ004J17qbYVH7kAN/story.html

TLE2 01-21-2015 06:23 PM

I agree, except I also agree to state's rights. It would have to be a state's decision, except that it's a constitutional issue....

This is why US citizenship is graduate level.

sdmc530 01-21-2015 06:52 PM

I also agree, but too many opinions with 50 states and the nutty states like NY, CA that it would never pass or resolve anything. If our FED. govt would step in and uniform conceal carry to any not crazy person it would solve all our problems.....If you can buy a pistol you can carry a pistol its just that easy....right????

pony up 01-21-2015 06:54 PM

I bump into "A constitutional right" regarding guns where there is no constitutional right regarding driving. I believe that there is indeed a federal role here. I maintain homes and possess CC permits in two states, recognized in most states, yet it is illegal in several states I have to cross between those states for me transport a hand gun no matter how or where it is packed contrary to Federal guidelines. I believe that is a problem many face that needs to be addressed. Last time I checked the constitution is in effect in all 57 Obama states. Dennis

milkmanjoe 01-21-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 99840)
I also agree, but too many opinions with 50 states and the nutty states like NY, CA that it would never pass or resolve anything. If our FED. govt would step in and uniform conceal carry to any not crazy person it would solve all our problems.....If you can buy a pistol you can carry a pistol its just that easy....right????

The problem with the fed being involved is the many ways they would restrict this. The fed should stay out and Concealed licenses...licenses, not permits....issued by states should be honored like drivers' licenses.

Caleb 01-21-2015 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmanjoe (Post 99847)
The problem with the fed being involved is the many ways they would restrict this. The fed should stay out and Concealed licenses...licenses, not permits....issued by states should be honored like drivers' licenses.

This^^^^^

sdmc530 01-21-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmanjoe (Post 99847)

I didn't say this but what I was getting at, we honor all drivers licenses and gun license should apply the same......well said.....DL are regulated by the FEDS states just follow most of the rules with them.....

pony up 01-21-2015 11:39 PM

I also mistrust the Feds however in my case, outlined above, the Feds say I can transport from one residence to the other encased and locked in the rear as long as I have a CC permit in both states and are traveling directly from one to the other. State laws such as MA for example (a may issue state) possession without a State permit (only issued to residents who can prove need) is an automatic one year in the slammer. That is, ironically, in violation of the Constitution in the cradle of liberty. I satisfy the Federal laws but am in violation of the laws of several states by transporting a gun I am legally permitted to purchase. The libtards in the northeast are never going to allow freedom to practice my Constitutionally guaranteed rights. Not ever.

milkmanjoe 01-21-2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony up (Post 99895)
I also mistrust the Feds however in my case, outlined above, the Feds say I can transport from one residence to the other encased and locked in the rear as long as I have a CC permit in both states and are traveling directly from one to the other. State laws such as MA for example (a may issue state) possession without a State permit (only issued to residents who can prove need) is an automatic one year in the slammer. That is, ironically, in violation of the Constitution in the cradle of liberty. I satisfy the Federal laws but am in violation of the laws of several states by transporting a gun I am legally permitted to purchase. The libtards in the northeast are never going to allow freedom to practice my Constitutionally guaranteed rights. Not ever.

I'm not so sure about that....Chicago and Washington DC have been pushed into concealed carry. Sure, they are still making it tough, but it exists, and crime rates are dropping. It will spread if Gun Rights groups are kept funded and keep filing lawsuits. Won't be soon, but it'll happen. Obama tried his damnest to screw gun owners and place restrictions on firearms...he got nowhere. A few states increased their gun control laws, which will be overturned through lawsuits. Gonna take time, but citizen carry is gaining ground all over.

Snipersnest 01-22-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony up (Post 99895)
State laws such as MA for example (a may issue state) possession without a State permit (only issued to residents who can prove need) is an automatic one year in the slammer.

You don't have to prove a need to be issued an LTC in Mass. You're required to take and pass a course in order to apply for one, and out of staters can apply for a non-resident license as well. As long as you're licensed in your home state and are participating in a sanctioned shoot, or traveling through you don't need a Mass. license. The one year mandatory (which was not supposed to be plea bargained away) has never been utilized in the courts I was involved with, and for some strange reason all those signs at the borders of Mass. declaring a one year mandatory have been removed. So there!:p