COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Dremel Room (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Dad’s Model 94 (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16515)

Rick McC. 05-04-2020 11:05 AM

Dad’s Model 94

Last fall, I picked up my Dad’s 30-30 that he’d loaned to a friend for the last few years.

It apparently lived on a farm tractor. Sitting muzzle down. Ensconced in a piece of PVC.

Now, it was no LNIB rifle before the farm duty, as it was Dad’s deer gun for many years when he ran the dogs, hunting whitetail deer in the swamp.

Since it has a lot of sentimental value to me (besides Dad’s use, I shot my first deer with it) I was interested in getting it back into some semblance of working order.

When I picked it up, I initially thought that the guy had cleaned it up pretty good, until I saw it up close.

I started on it the following week, and put 3-4 hours into it at a time, whenever I had a chance.

I tore it down fairly far, and started in on the outside of the barrel, magazine tube, and frame with 0000 steel wool.

Everything was rusty, including the bore, inside of the mag tube, follower and spring, and most of what came out of the frame.

After a lot of scraping, brushing, and cussing, it was time to put everything back together. I lubed easily reached parts, and the outside, with Eezox, and used a standard CLP on the internals, thinking that the most they’d get down the road would likely be stuff sprayed in from the outside.

I’d never worked on one of the old Winchesters before, but I guess I managed to stumble through it OK, as it works, and there were no parts left over.

It’s currently keeping his old Browning A5 company (which I rescued similarly several years ago), in my gun cabinet.

Next hunting season, it’ll accompany me in the swamp; just as it did Dad, so many years ago.

sdmc530 05-04-2020 02:09 PM

Love that.....I hope it turns out great for you!

Caleb 05-04-2020 02:12 PM

Great story and glad it’s back in the family. Good luck next year on your hunt with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrHenley 05-04-2020 04:54 PM

Thanks for sharing that, I hope it get's some good action! :)

I have my dad's 94 too, only it didn't get quite as much abuse. He left it in a closet in the guest room that had some humidity problems from a leaking roof. Inside appears to be fine, outside had to have some surface rust removed and a few places are lightly pitted. I haven't tried to take it apart since it's seems to be in good working order. I bought some dies and developed a load for it.

It shoots good enough to use as a 100 yard deer rifle, and I have just the stand to use it on where no shots are over 100 yards. I keep meaning to take it deer hunting but...:o

It would be accompanying his Auto-5 too, but my nephew begged me to let him inherit it since he borrowed it a lot and got attached to it.

RKP 05-04-2020 05:26 PM

Great rescue Rick, the sentimental value of your Dad's Winchester 30-30 and your first deer taken with it is just awesome !! :cool:

Riverpigusmc 05-04-2020 05:57 PM

Good job Rick. I have my great uncles 94 in .32 win spl, made in 1960. He used it to hunt mule deer in Montana

Rick McC. 05-04-2020 06:00 PM

Thanks, Y’all!

I’m glad you liked the story, though I’m not surprised. The membership here seems to be comprised of folks who can personally relate to such things.

I have quite a few, so I’ll try to put one down for posterity here from time to time.

Caleb 05-04-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick McC. (Post 171275)
Thanks, Y’all!

I glad you liked the story, though I’m not surprised. The membership here seems to be comprised of folks who can personally relate to such things.

I have quite a few, so I’ll try to put one down for posterity here from time to time.

Please do.

BlackKnight 05-04-2020 10:52 PM

Cool stuff.
How hard was it to detail strip?

I have a 94. From what I can ascertain it was manufactured between 1950 and 1959.
Got it for a steal from someone who didn’t know or appreciate what they had. It has some pitting and so forth. Was going to reblue it and sand and redo the stock. A friend (very knowledgeable collector) recommended not to as it would devalue it.
At a minimum I would like to do a deep cleaning of the inner workings.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1d8d10a75d.jpg

Riverpigusmc 05-05-2020 05:24 AM

Keep it as is, Tony. IMO, rebluing and sanding and refinishing erases history and memories