COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   News and Politics (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Florida toddler shoots himself (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10104)

skosh69 01-23-2015 01:49 PM

Florida toddler shoots himself

COME ON PEOPLE, LOCK THOSE GUNS UP WHEN KIDS ARE AROUND!!!!

Quote:

TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. – A Tampa Bay area toddler is dead after finding his father's .380-caliber handgun in the family's car Wednesday afternoon and shooting himself, officials said.
This statement below I disagree with. Yes, they'll punish themselves, but they also need to face criminal charges as well!

Quote:

The sheriff said the parents won't face criminal charges — no one could punish them more than they'll punish themselves, he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/22...-car-deputies/

TLE2 01-23-2015 02:13 PM

Having lost a child of my own, although she was a grown woman at the time, I agree that they cannot be punished beyond what has happened.

The state could try and convict them, send them to jail, but no one can cut them so deeply as the loss of a child.

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN GUN SAFETY. At 3 years old, my grandson, could tell you my first rules of gun safety: Always loaded, never point at anything you don't want to destroy.

If you lock the guns up they become a temptation. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL!!! (Sorry for "yelling").

pony up 01-23-2015 04:32 PM

Every kids wants a toy gun and to kids that age they all are toys, no matter what they have told. My 4 year old grandson will pick up a picture of a gun first no matter what other pictures are spread around, even ones of himself. Ellison is exactly right - lock the guns and all ammo up, every one, all the time, loaded or not. I agree that losing a child, no matter how, has to be beyond any other punishment, especially if due to your own carelessness. I do not know how people go on after something like this. I don't know about jail but it seems that they might even want to do community service talking to civic, school and other groups, adult and children on the importance of practicing firearm safety. There is no greater obligation than keeping our kids safe.

Riverpigusmc 01-23-2015 05:28 PM

that's where that woman was raised. Sad deal

skosh69 01-23-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLE2 (Post 99983)
Having lost a child of my own, although she was a grown woman at the time, I agree that they cannot be punished beyond what has happened.

The state could try and convict them, send them to jail, but no one can cut them so deeply as the loss of a child.

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN GUN SAFETY. At 3 years old, my grandson, could tell you my first rules of gun safety: Always loaded, never point at anything you don't want to destroy.

If you lock the guns up they become a temptation. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL!!! (Sorry for "yelling").

Michael, I'm sorry for your loss. No parent should out live their children.

My sister lost her only child, it'll be 5 yrs this April, he was an adult lime your daughter.

Not sure how you ever recover from that.

milkmanjoe 01-23-2015 05:38 PM

Sad story....I agree that no parent could suffer more, or have to live with more self guilt or self hatred, the time served will be a lifetime. Some parents eventually kill themselves to be with their children.

In my house gun safety started at three years old. On the third birthday I took each kid out back, up in SC, with a .22 rifle. We shot actual objects that would show the damage caused by a bullet, and I would compare for them if this was their or someone else's hand, head, etc. I played helicopter parent while they shot until last year, nine years to the day our youngest started learning. Today my sons helicopter even adults shooting. They can detail strip/clean 1911'a, Glocks, Mossberg500's pump shotties but not their bedrooms.