COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   Long Guns (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   AR Pistol Build (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16452)

edgehill 02-18-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorade (Post 170468)
Gotta love those limited edition roll marks they are doing! Is that the Eagle one?

Yes. It's labeled the Freedom-15. I picked it up during last year's Memorial Day sale.

Riverpigusmc 02-18-2020 05:16 PM

Looks good Andy

RKP 02-20-2020 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgehill (Post 170457)
On the price, I forgot to add the cost of the Sylvan folding mount. That adds $180 to the cost. So if you’re trying to go under $500, skip that mount.

I'd be interested in your thoughts/feedback on the folding mount as well. http://www.cotep.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

edgehill 02-20-2020 09:21 PM

I took it to the range tonight to do a basic function test. Since this was my first time to build a gun, I was a little nervous.

The magazine caught fine and the first round loaded without any issues. First round fired fine but the second round loaded but didn’t reset the bolt I guess. I manually cycled it and it fired fine. Then I had another click and no bang. Again manually cycled it and it worked fine. After that, there were no issues.

I’m not sure why but once it got going it was fine. I ran a little over 100 rounds without any issues.

As Caleb mentioned, it’s loud and breathes fire. I didn’t worry about zeroing this time, so I’ll be going back to zero the sights now that the few hundred rounds fired without issue after the first issue.

The folding stock is fine. It’s a little stiff, so it didn’t want to latch and when it’s latched, it doesn’t want to release. But folded, it fits nicely in a backpack.

Gatorade 02-20-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgehill (Post 170512)
I took it to the range tonight to do a basic function test. Since this was my first time to build a gun, I was a little nervous.

The magazine caught fine and the first round loaded without any issues. First round fired fine but the second round loaded but didn’t reset the bolt I guess. I manually cycled it and it fired fine. Then I had another click and no bang. Again manually cycled it and it worked fine. After that, there were no issues.

I’m not sure why but once it got going it was fine. I ran a little over 100 rounds without any issues.

As Caleb mentioned, it’s loud and breathes fire. I didn’t worry about zeroing this time, so I’ll be going back to zero the sights now that the few hundred rounds fired without issue after the first issue.

The folding stock is fine. It’s a little stiff, so it didn’t want to latch and when it’s latched, it doesn’t want to release. But folded, it fits nicely in a backpack.

Are there light primer strikes? Check the hammer spring. I installed one backwards that resulted in light strikes.

edgehill 02-21-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorade (Post 170513)
Are there light primer strikes? Check the hammer spring. I installed one backwards that resulted in light strikes.

There were no strikes at all. It looks like the bolt didn’t fall back into the battery. I think it didn’t have enough lube o. It and after I cycled the bolt a few times it was fine.

Caleb 02-21-2020 11:30 PM

AR Pistol Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgehill (Post 170517)
There were no strikes at all. It looks like the bolt didn’t fall back into the battery. I think it didn’t have enough lube o. It and after I cycled the bolt a few times it was fine.

It’s possible but, you might of had a burr in the buffer tube that worked it’s way smooth after a couple of cycles. Either that or your buffer is too stiff. What brand buffer tube are you running?
Do you know if the inside of the tube is smooth or if it has machining marks? Those marks cause a lot of drag on the spring and buffer.

Remember, you have a short barrel so a lot of that gas is escaping out the front (hence muzzle flash). This plus the pistol length gas port don’t really push the bolt back with much force. You might have to get a lighter buffer spring.

Since you said you didn’t have any more malfunctions after those couple of ones, I’d say you will be fine and just shoot the crap out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgehill 06-27-2020 05:16 PM

I didn’t take pictures, but I took it to the range this morning to zero the red dot sight at 25 yards this morning.

No malfunctions at all. Very smooth. Got it sighted in and ready to go. Nice little in-house AR pistol.

Rick McC. 06-27-2020 08:08 PM

That’s great Andy!

I really like that folding stock setup. I just saw the part advertised in the last couple of weeks.

Caleb 06-27-2020 09:36 PM

That’s good to read Andy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk