COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Not new, but... (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16570)

Boats 08-30-2020 08:17 PM

Not new, but...

It's been a long time. Coming on seven years, best as I can figure. I had to leave for a while, but I'm back now, and hopefully to stay.

Still shooting, still reloading, and still wearing my COTEP hat :)

Cheers,
Boats

DrHenley 08-30-2020 09:23 PM

Welcome back!
How are those new Virginia gun laws affecting you?
I'm afraid to take a gun into Virginia now. I'll have to find a range in North Carolina where I can meet my son-in-law to shoot with him.

Boats 08-30-2020 09:52 PM

Hey Jim!

Good to be back!

So far the laws haven't affected me down in the southern/rural part of Virginia.

I'm worried about them passing a magazine law that would basically make all semi auto pistols illegal. The way the law is phrased, any firearm which can accept a magazine containing more than 10 rounds... essentially means any weapon with a magazine. It failed last time. If it passes, it might make 1911's illegal. The only things I'll have that are legal then will be my Remington 870 and my Remington 700. Sad.

Then there's the assault weapon ban that failed last time, but who knows next time.

Then there's the 30 day wait between purchases, but that doesn't apply to CCW holders.

Wife just retired from USN with 30 years of service and if they really pass those laws, we're thinking about moving to Idaho. At least there's no rioting there, and folks pretty much leave you alone.

What are you wanting to shoot with your SiL? I don't see why you'd have a problem with Virginia at this point. I'd stay out of northern VA though :)

-Boats

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHenley (Post 172407)
Welcome back!
How are those new Virginia gun laws affecting you?
I'm afraid to take a gun into Virginia now. I'll have to find a range in North Carolina where I can meet my son-in-law to shoot with him.

DrHenley 08-30-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boats (Post 172408)
Hey Jim!
What are you wanting to shoot with your SiL? I don't see why you'd have a problem with Virginia at this point. I'd stay out of northern VA though :)
-Boats

That's the problem, they live in Northern Virginia. But they have bought a house in NC, they just haven't moved yet. There is a range ten minutes from the house in NC.

As far as what I'm going to shoot with him, I don't think he has ever fired a gun before. My daughter on the other hand was the captain of her high school rifle team and has hunted deer. She wants me to introduce him to shooting.

So...here is what I have in mind...and you will understand why I don't want to take the guns to Northern Virginia!!!

45 Colt Cowboy Loads in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
45 Colt hunting loads (44 magnum level) in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley
44 S&W Special HP defense load in a Charter Bulldog Target Model (4" barrel, adjustable sights)
45 ACP in a Colt Government Model
9mm in a CZ 75
22 LR in a Browning Buckmark
30-30 in a Winchester 94
6.5x55 in a sporterized Czech VZ 24 Mauser
223 in a Mini 14
45-70 in a Browning High Wall

NAMVET72 08-31-2020 03:47 AM

Welcome Back old friend. I dont get to do my Duty on here here as much as I used to.

Clyde

FfNJGTFO 08-31-2020 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAMVET72 (Post 172411)
Welcome Back old friend. I dont get to do my Duty on here here as much as I used to.

Clyde

Welcome back!

Riverpigusmc 08-31-2020 05:22 AM

Welcome back

Boats 08-31-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc (Post 172418)
Welcome back

Heya Pig!

It's good to virtually hear your voice again. I hope you and family are doing well and staying healthy.

Boats

Boats 08-31-2020 09:01 AM

Northern Virginia

Jim,

There doesn't seem to be anything Virginia would consider illegal in there, but maybe bringing one or two at a time would be best so you don't seem like some crazed wacko with an arsenal :)

When are they planning on moving and when you visit, where will you be driving from? I live right in the SE corner of Virginia, where you could pretty near throw a rock over the NC border (hint, hint). Where in NC did they buy?

Feel free to take this private or drop it entirely if you want to keep such info private.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHenley (Post 172409)
That's the problem, they live in Northern Virginia. But they have bought a house in NC, they just haven't moved yet. There is a range ten minutes from the house in NC.

As far as what I'm going to shoot with him, I don't think he has ever fired a gun before. My daughter on the other hand was the captain of her high school rifle team and has hunted deer. She wants me to introduce him to shooting.

So...here is what I have in mind...and you will understand why I don't want to take the guns to Northern Virginia!!!

45 Colt Cowboy Loads in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
45 Colt hunting loads (44 magnum level) in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley
44 S&W Special HP defense load in a Charter Bulldog Target Model (4" barrel, adjustable sights)
45 ACP in a Colt Government Model
9mm in a CZ 75
22 LR in a Browning Buckmark
30-30 in a Winchester 94
6.5x55 in a sporterized Czech VZ 24 Mauser
223 in a Mini 14
45-70 in a Browning High Wall

sdmc530 08-31-2020 09:04 AM

welcome back!