COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   News and Politics (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Boy, 6, dies from rabies ... (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15494)

RKP 01-17-2018 06:26 AM

Boy, 6, dies from rabies ...

... after being scratched by sick bat. :(

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/01/15/florida-boy-6-dies-from-rabies-after-being-scratched-by-sick-bat.html

So sad !!

FfNJGTFO 01-17-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKP (Post 158893)

Sad indeed. And I don't mean to sound insensitive in re: the parents' loss and suffering, but I have to wonder if the parents will face charges for not providing adequate medical care when it might have made the difference (i.e. the article said he didn't take the son to the doctor right away because he (son) didn't like the shots/vaccinations).

I mean, I know those rabies series shots are horrifically painful, but that's one disease with which you don't mess around. I've seen massive efforts by EMS and LE to find rabid animals and get them tested in order to avoid having to give those shots to some kids. I've seen kids in agony as the shots are being administered. I've seen pet owners in agony when their animal has to be destroyed, having tested positive for rabies.

I, myself was bitten by a dog once while at college. And, although it was just a scratch, I was ordered to go the local hospital by my RA and be treated with anti-biotics, etc. And, much against my wishes, two different LEAs were called to my treatment bed (where I had to wash my own wound :mad:) to interview me. The hospital called the local City police (City of Evanston, Ill.), and they (in turn - again, against my wishes) called the Chicago Police (where the bite occurred). The objective being, to locate the dog that bit me and have it tested. I didn't want that, because I knew that the dog would have been quarantined for a time, which I didn't want for the owners of the shop. I never found out what happened, but I have to assume it was not a rabid dog, or I would have been notified to begin the vaccination series. Thankfully, I wasn't.

Point being, they (EMS/LE) didn't mess around and did what had to be done, even against my wishes as an adult. I hope we can all learn from this tragedy and seek immediate care at the slightest suspicion of an animal bite.

May the young lad rest in peace and be received into Heaven quickly!

Caleb 01-17-2018 08:48 AM

I feel for the kid.....parents should know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdmc530 01-17-2018 09:24 AM

I feel the same way, very sad. But if they knew it was a bad medical attention should have been taken right away.

Parents are pretty sad in my book because the child didn't like getting shots, who the f likes getting shots at all. Dumb decisions make bad choices.....very sad. They should have known better and should be charged!!!

skosh69 01-17-2018 07:50 PM

Sad indeed. But the theres a lesson here folks, don’t f**k with the wildlife people.

Gatorade 01-18-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO (Post 158894)
Sad indeed. And I don't mean to sound insensitive in re: the parents' loss and suffering, but I have to wonder if the parents will face charges for not providing adequate medical care when it might have made the difference (i.e. the article said he didn't take the son to the doctor right away because he (son) didn't like the shots/vaccinations).

I mean, I know those rabies series shots are horrifically painful, but that's one disease with which you don't mess around. I've seen massive efforts by EMS and LE to find rabid animals and get them tested in order to avoid having to give those shots to some kids. I've seen kids in agony as the shots are being administered. I've seen pet owners in agony when their animal has to be destroyed, having tested positive for rabies.

I, myself was bitten by a dog once while at college. And, although it was just a scratch, I was ordered to go the local hospital by my RA and be treated with anti-biotics, etc. And, much against my wishes, two different LEAs were called to my treatment bed (where I had to wash my own wound :mad:) to interview me. The hospital called the local City police (City of Evanston, Ill.), and they (in turn - again, against my wishes) called the Chicago Police (where the bite occurred). The objective being, to locate the dog that bit me and have it tested. I didn't want that, because I knew that the dog would have been quarantined for a time, which I didn't want for the owners of the shop. I never found out what happened, but I have to assume it was not a rabid dog, or I would have been notified to begin the vaccination series. Thankfully, I wasn't.

Point being, they (EMS/LE) didn't mess around and did what had to be done, even against my wishes as an adult. I hope we can all learn from this tragedy and seek immediate care at the slightest suspicion of an animal bite.

May the young lad rest in peace and be received into Heaven quickly!

It may have been against your wishes but they had an obligation to others to make sure the dog wasn’t a rabies threat to others as well.

FfNJGTFO 01-18-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorade (Post 158910)
It may have been against your wishes but they had an obligation to others to make sure the dog wasn’t a rabies threat to others as well.

Oh, I know.... and, in hindsight, I absolutely agree with what they did... which was my point in mentioning it. :)