COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dropping the slide on the model 1911 ~ The truth? (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14686)

pitor 04-17-2017 03:44 PM

Dropping the slide on the model 1911 ~ The truth?

I agree with Mr. GunBlue490.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op1167lTVmI

"Former member of the US Army 25th Infantry Division 25th MP Co. at Cu Chi Vietnam, retired city police Captain, lifelong NRA certified firearms police firearms instructor, certified Ruger factory trained armorer, and NRA Distinguished Police Expert tells the truth about the dropping of the slide on a Model 1911 pistol. "

Lonestar grips. 04-17-2017 03:58 PM

the 1911 is an extremely tough, battle proven pistol and I don't baby mine at all.

that being said dropping the slide using the slide stop has rounded the slide stop and slide stop notch on my Colt. this sometimes keeps the slide from locking back on an empty mag which in a gun fight ain't the best thing. it also causes the slide to drop if I insert a new mag hard enough. that can be a big safety issue.

pitor 04-17-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonestar grips. (Post 149578)
the 1911 is an extremely tough, battle proven pistol and I don't baby mine at all.

that being said dropping the slide using the slide stop has rounded the slide stop and slide stop notch on my Colt. this sometimes keeps the slide from locking back on an empty mag which in a gun fight ain't the best thing.

This I can totally agree on. Over time and use it will round up that notch. But there's so many myths on the internet and tacticool circles about damaging the frame, etc, that I had to put that video up.

sdmc530 04-17-2017 04:08 PM

while I agree with what you saying and what the video is saying there is a bunch of arguing about this.

Be interesting to see where this goes.

I was in my LGS once a while back and a guy was looking to trade his 1911 of some sort for a AR. The owner of the gun shop was inspecting his 1911 and did just this. After careful examination dropped the slide and put the gun back into the case. The guy went crazy he said he had damaged his gun. The owner who was very cool about it said show me where? The guy didn't have an answer. The shop owner politely reminded him that his gunsmith has been the only one to clean the weapon because he didn't even know how.
The guy walked out with out getting an AR. I don't know if he ever came back again. It was pretty funny to be there and see it. The LGS owner was really calm and non'shalant about it. Played in perfect.

Lonestar grips. 04-17-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitor (Post 149582)
This I can totally agree on. Over time and use it will round up that notch. But there's so many myths on the internet and tacticool circles about damaging the frame, etc, that I had to put that video up.

yeah people love to spread myths like that. once had an elderly gunsmith tell me wd-40 and loctite have ruined more guns than rust and liberals combined.:rolleyes:

Riverpigusmc 04-17-2017 04:16 PM

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber may ruin a custom trigger job, that's about it. Putting a round in the chamber THEN dropping the slide is bad juju. Plays hell on the extractor

pitor 04-17-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc (Post 149589)
Dropping the slide on an empty chamber may ruin a custom trigger job, that's about it. Putting a round in the chamber THEN dropping the slide is bad juju. Plays hell on the extractor

C o R R E C T o !

Some of my favorite comments on that youtube video:

"If dropping the slide and dry-firing a gun will break it, know what will absolutely ruin it? Firing bullets out of the thing! People are idiots."

"How is supposed the slide moving forward break the sear? It happens with every shot.

Because the sear is under tension until the trigger is pulled releasing the hammer. Letting the slide bang forward with the sear under pressure is how the sear allegedly breaks...says other guys.

GunBlue490

Nope. The disconnector disconnects the sear before the slide returns to battery, to prevent auto firing. There is no difference, whether the gun is dry or fired."

Now, there's a certain amount of evidence that dropping the slide can ruin a good trigger job. If your 1911 has been tuned and fitted for competition, treating it like a combat pistol can ruin the accuracy that has been built into the pistol battering the tolerances.

DaFadda 04-17-2017 04:54 PM

I choose NOT to use the slide stop to close the slide. My choice. And I don't have any rounded slide stops or notches because I have chosen my choice. The (very) few times that I allow my 1911 to be used by others... I don't cringe if they use the slide stop. Annoyed? yeah... probably... but for the number of times they do it, they're not going to hurt this gun. Non issue for most I would think.

brownie 04-17-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc (Post 149589)

That's why I don't do it, no other reason, and that's NOT myth.

brownie 04-17-2017 05:02 PM

Now, there's a certain amount of evidence that dropping the slide can ruin a good trigger job. If your 1911 has been tuned and fitted for competition,

Mines been tuned and fitted for combat, same trigger job they do for competition guns