COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Archery (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11633)

Caleb 09-01-2015 10:45 AM

Archery

Do we have any COTEP archers in the house?

I have an itch that needs scratching. I want to learn how to shoot a bow. So, looking for advice on gear and equipment for a total newb to the sport. I don't "plan" on hunting with it, just mainly backyard fun. What bow (type) should I look at to learn? I know I need to get "fitted" for the right size. Is that something I can do or should I seek professional assistance? Any advice will be appreciated.

Riverpigusmc 09-01-2015 12:15 PM

Lisa still not letting you reload, huh?

Caleb 09-01-2015 12:39 PM

Nah, I have a pig to hunt . :D

sdmc530 09-01-2015 12:42 PM

I realize this is not help but I tried long bow a few years back because I was given one. Couldn't hit crap with it. Tried my brothers big boy bow and was actually worse...terrible. I gave up. Sold the long bow and never looked back. I wish I would have stuck with it or gotten some pro help or something though. Would like have the ability to shoot in back yard......

lesson learned...

BlackKnight 09-01-2015 01:50 PM

Not a hunter, yet, but I have a recurve and a compound that I got about 30 or more years ago.
I wound up being ok with them. While not a professional, nor can give you any good advice, it was a lot of fun.
So much so that I recently looked into getting back into it with my daughters.

LittleGator 09-01-2015 02:03 PM

No one has answered his question. He wants our opinion on whether he needs "professional help." :D

sdmc530 09-01-2015 02:11 PM

Talk to Barbie, she has/had a daughter in arrow flinging!

TLE2 09-01-2015 02:28 PM

I have a compound and a crossbow. I have the crossbow because with the bow, the deer have an outstanding chance to live.

I like huntersfriend.com and the Diamond Infinity bow. It's very adjustable, so you can start at low weight and move up to hunting poundage over time, without a bow vise. Unfortunately, my granddaughter liked it too, so now she has it.

There are "better" bows, but the deer won't care.

Caleb 09-01-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 117474)
I realize this is not help but I tried long bow a few years back because I was given one. Couldn't hit crap with it. Tried my brothers big boy bow and was actually worse...terrible. I gave up. Sold the long bow and never looked back. I wish I would have stuck with it or gotten some pro help or something though. Would like have the ability to shoot in back yard......

lesson learned...

This is why I'm doing my research and trying to get hands on training. If I just go and buy something (most likely the wrong one for my skill level) and just start trying to use it, I know I'll get frustrated and give it up. I'd like to give it/myself a fair chance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKnight (Post 117475)
Not a hunter, yet, but I have a recurve and a compound that I got about 30 or more years ago.
I wound up being ok with them. While not a professional, nor can give you any good advice, it was a lot of fun.
So much so that I recently looked into getting back into it with my daughters.

Looks like a ton of fun! Been wanting to try it for a long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleGator (Post 117476)
No one has answered his question. He wants our opinion on whether he needs "professional help." :D

That answer is easy, YES.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 117477)
Talk to Barbie, she has/had a daughter in arrow flinging!

Ah, good call. I'll shoot her a pm, thanks.

Caleb 09-01-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLE2 (Post 117478)
I have a compound and a crossbow. I have the crossbow because with the bow, the deer have an outstanding chance to live.

I like huntersfriend.com and the Diamond Infinity bow. It's very adjustable, so you can start at low weight and move up to hunting poundage over time, without a bow vise. Unfortunately, my granddaughter liked it too, so now she has it.

There are "better" bows, but the deer won't care.

The hay bails won't care either, lol.

I'm leaning towards a crossbow but, which one do you think is more user friendly for a beginner?