COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weapon Light (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11928)

Caleb 10-22-2015 10:26 AM

Weapon Light

What's a good weapon light that's reliable, can handle use, and won't break the bank. Oh yeah, needs to be lightweight as well.

I'd like to hear your suggestions. The light will be for a carbine rifle.

PS: Was looking at the Streamlight TLR-1. It's for a handgun but, uses a pic rail mount.....hmm, might work for both. Thoughts?

BlackKnight 10-22-2015 10:58 AM

I'm partial to Surefire's. I own and use several X200's.
On my rifle I have an Inforce.

milkmanjoe 10-22-2015 11:22 AM

No idea on this one....I have the original M3X, non LED. Paid near $300 for it over ten years ago.....throws a WHITE light beam over 100 yards that is blinding. Kills batteries, runs hot to the touch, but what a beam. This light is why I don't care for LED lights.

Caleb 10-22-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKnight (Post 120630)
I'm partial to Surefire's. I own and use several X200's.
On my rifle I have an Inforce.

The Inforce looks nice, thanks. And, if you get tired of one of those Surefire lights....well, :D

Caleb 10-22-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmanjoe (Post 120633)
No idea on this one....I have the original M3X, non LED. Paid near $300 for it over ten years ago.....throws a WHITE light beam over 100 yards that is blinding. Kills batteries, runs hot to the touch, but what a beam. This light is why I don't care for LED lights.

I hear ya but, the battery life is extended with Led lights.

Riverpigusmc 10-22-2015 09:47 PM

I taped a minimag to my coach gun

J/k, I don't use lights on my guns. IMHO it draws bullets like Obama draws idiots

Caleb 10-23-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc (Post 120658)

J/k, I don't use lights on my guns. IMHO it draws bullets like Obama draws idiots

I'd rather see what I'm aiming/shooting at in a home defense scenario . Getting lit up with 200 lumens when it's pitch black in a room, I guarantee your vision will be washed out. You won't know where the source of that light is. By that time you will be full of 00 buck.

milkmanjoe 10-23-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamCaleb (Post 120642)
I hear ya but, the battery life is extended with Led lights.

Yup, battery life is key, so is bulb life...LED excels at both....I'm just a super brightness freak!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc (Post 120658)

Not big on mounted lights for SD either.....but for gators...well........

Snipersnest 10-23-2015 08:16 AM

I like Tony, have several Surefires and I've had them for years. I also have the old Streamlights, but now just use them in the event of a power loss at home. The Surefire is small, light and puts out a lot of lumens vs. the heavier, larger Streamlight.

BlackKnight 10-23-2015 08:32 AM

It all depends what you're going to use it for and how much.
I made my choice based on when I was the SWAT team. We did a lot of shooting including lowlight training. I saw a lot of light crap out. Couldn't handle the recoil as well as the bezel got really gummed up with carbon.
At the time Surefire and Streamlight were two top contenders, I chose Surefire because I found it brighter, slightly smaller, lighter, and brighter. It was also easier to put on and take off the weapon.