COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   S&W (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   M&P9 safety or not? (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9474)

GD2A 11-11-2014 06:49 PM

M&P9 safety or not?

Hi Folks,

Just curious about what y'all would think makes more sense - get one with safety because my only other semi's have safeties (1911's) or go without?

Also, I've had Glocks and think they're fine pistols but am willing to try something different, hence the F/S M&P9. Are they as hardcore reliable as a Glock?

This won't be a carry gun - just thought I should own a full size 9mm ;)

Caleb 11-11-2014 06:57 PM

M&P's are as reliable as Blocks. They are great pistols and I should of never traded away mine. I will get another one day. Oh, your safety is your booger hook. No safety on safe action pistols, YMMV.

skosh69 11-11-2014 07:20 PM

I love mine! No thumb safety.

If It were me and I lived in a free state, I would look at the Pro series, the CORE models or the new Performance Center ported models. All of them are upgraded models of the base M&P gun and come in either the 4.25" or 5" model, for not much more money.

edgehill 11-11-2014 08:18 PM

If you want to meet up and shoot mine, let me know. I've carried it concealed. My wife used it at Brownie's class this past weekend without an issue and went through about 1000 rounds. The stock trigger is heavy enough not to worry about the safety.

Gatorade 11-11-2014 08:35 PM

When you shot my M&P compact it is a no safety version. My $.02 are no safety's for carry guns and some safetys for range guns.

Keep in mind mine is in a Panther but you know how much I have going on with my kids and I have mine on me pretty much from 7am-9pm and only focus on where the muzzle is pointed, no worries about a manual safety at all.

GD2A 11-11-2014 09:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt that it's an inherently safe weapon that doesn't need a safety. I guess what I was asking was more along the lines of muscle memory/familiarity.

My 1911's have safeties and a part of making that system ready to fire is snicking off the safety - each and every time I draw.

I'm sensing though, there is no reason to get another model with a safety, then, even though the only semi I carry and shoot has one ... am I making sense?

Caleb 11-11-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GD2A (Post 93001)
Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt that it's an inherently safe weapon that doesn't need a safety. I guess what I was asking was more along the lines of muscle memory/familiarity.

My 1911's have safeties and a part of making that system ready to fire is snicking off the safety - each and every time I draw.

I'm sensing though, there is no reason to get another model with a safety, then, even though the only semi I carry and shoot has one ... am I making sense?

Yes you are. It makes sense in a training sort of way. You can always get the safety version but, you don't have to use it.....but its there if you do. Know what I mean?

GD2A 11-12-2014 12:12 AM

Ordered. No safety. Thanks everyone.

milkmanjoe 11-12-2014 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GD2A (Post 93007)
Ordered. No safety. Thanks everyone.

Perfect. I don't understand the "safety thing". I don't practice drawing my 1911's while flicking the safety since when I holster I flip the safety up.
Sequence....Holster 1911, safety up(click), walk about my day. Thumb rides on it to shoot anyway.

GD2A 11-12-2014 03:43 PM

Order canceled. If you ever have the occasion to buy a gun online from BOTACH ... you might want to pass :rolleyes:

The hunt for a full size 9mm is back on!