COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   Cowboy Action Shooting (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Quick Draw shooting (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11114)

ColMike 05-31-2015 08:48 AM

Quick Draw shooting

Yesterday down in Enterprise Alabama, Lock N Load guns shop and range hosted a customer appreciation day. We took a mobile "quick draw" range to provide some entertainment. Two targets on one timer, instant win/lose and elapsed time. Once the targets are "set" there is a 2-5 second delay before they go active. When the light comes on you draw and fire. Must hit the target which is about 10 feet from the line. There are several techniques for this shooting event but I use it as a first round training device for my cowboy action shooting. I started out a few weeks ago in the hi 1 second times 1.8, etc. I am down to routinely .6xx -.7xx now and my best score yesterday was .653 seconds in full draw. That's pretty quick for an old guy. While not part of an official match, we allowed semiautos with modern holsters to shoot. The fastest times were around .49x but they didn't to cock the weapon.

Here's the setup with me running the range and two young guys using the lean back and shoot from the hip technique. It looks odd but works for this sport. I don't use it. Counter productive for what I'm trying to do.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...pstq8n0l67.jpg

It was a good day and lots of fun but provided some real eye openers. A store employee toting a PM9 tried 5 times and never hit the target! And she's got a better chance of shooting herself or a bystander than a perp. One guy trying to go way fast missed shooting himself in the thigh by about 6 inches. Some of these people carrying weapons are really dangerous.

OH, forgot to tell you. We use wax bullets, and the propellant is a 209 primer in the 45LC cartridge. some cases are not drilled to accept a large primer and use the normal primer as a propellant. There were some other pics taken and IF I can get ahold of them, I'll post them as an update.

D

jmlutz 05-31-2015 09:35 AM

Good deal, looks like y'all had a great time.

RKP 05-31-2015 10:49 AM

Looks/sounds like an enjoyable day for sure !! :cool:

milkmanjoe 05-31-2015 10:53 AM

Looks like good fun..... I have to agree, some people are more dangerous to the general population than a perp. I've seen some wild shooting from a draw too. Of all the timed and non timed close quarters pistol shooting I have done, BTTBBob and Brownie have the absolute highest regard for getting people on target, and safely.

Looking forward to more pictures if you can get them.

Riverpigusmc 05-31-2015 11:31 AM

Looks like fun

sdmc530 05-31-2015 12:00 PM

Good fun!!!

ronpaul50 05-31-2015 05:42 PM

Nice!

brownie 05-31-2015 06:58 PM

What a great time that must have been Col.- Kudo's to that fun factor.

Thanks for the thoughts Joe. My times with a semi would be about what they saw in the lowest times as well. Some people there obviously had some speed.

pitor 05-31-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColMike (Post 111723)
OH, forgot to tell you. We use wax bullets, and the propellant is a 209 primer in the 45LC cartridge. some cases are not drilled to accept a large primer and use the normal primer as a propellant. There were some other pics taken and IF I can get ahold of them, I'll post them as an update.

Thank goodness you mentioned this. I was already mumbling that this was some mighty irresponsible shooting by some, and a huge safety issue for others if you just let any stranger shoot from the hip, etc, as fast as they desire to go. Whew!

Did you also have wax bullets for 9mm, 45 acp, and any other semi auto? I know cowboy action shooters use wax bullets in 45LC cartridges.

ColMike 05-31-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitor (Post 111754)
Thank goodness you mentioned this. I was already mumbling that this was some mighty irresponsible shooting by some, and a huge safety issue for others if you just let any stranger shoot from the hip, etc, as fast as they desire to go. Whew!

Did you also have wax bullets for 9mm, 45 acp, and any other semi auto? I know cowboy action shooters use wax bullets in 45LC cartridges.

wax bullets for all caliber and weapon. 1 round at a time.
D