COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Dremel Room (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   45 Super (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10959)

K-Lynne 05-14-2015 01:21 AM

45 Super

I've been studying this topic now for a long time and have finally decided that I like the ballistics of the 45 Super. I own a Rock Island 1911FS Tactical in 45acp and I have been told they are rated at 24,000psi chamber. I know the pressure on the Super is 27-28,000psi. Some people that I have talked to have said that just replacing the recoil, firing pin, and magazine springs and you should be fine. After months of research I thought the same thing. I was wrong according to a gunsmith from Armscor. I was told that unless the barrel is ramped, that it won't support enough of the cartridge to handle the pressure. Don't ask me why I want to do this conversion, because I just want to. It's my gun. What my question is, isdo I really need a ramped barrel, or is the additional web thickness enough?

Lonestar grips. 05-14-2015 02:56 AM

unfortunately our 1911 mechanic recently passed away and to my knowledge there are no other smiths currently active on the forum so i'm not sure how many answers you'll get here. if I were you i'd email this question to half a dozen reputable gunsmiths, see what they have to say and go with the majority.

if the gunsmith from Armscor says you need one i'd say you probably need one.

girphoto 05-14-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Lynne (Post 110066)
I've been studying this topic now for a long time and have finally decided that I like the ballistics of the 45 Super. I own a Rock Island 1911FS Tactical in 45acp and I have been told they are rated at 24,000psi chamber. I know the pressure on the Super is 27-28,000psi. Some people that I have talked to have said that just replacing the recoil, firing pin, and magazine springs and you should be fine. After months of research I thought the same thing. I was wrong according to a gunsmith from Armscor. I was told that unless the barrel is ramped, that it won't support enough of the cartridge to handle the pressure. Don't ask me why I want to do this conversion, because I just want to. It's my gun. What my question is, isdo I really need a ramped barrel, or is the additional web thickness enough?

Hi K-Lynne

I am not sure about 45 Super, But I am Sure about 38 Super and all of the guns that I build in 38 Super have ramped barrels ( even the Glock that I am working on).
I think you are playing with a lot of metal in your face if you do not use a ramped barrel. There is just not enough support for the round.

GaryR

brownie 05-14-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonestar grips. (Post 110067)
unfortunately our 1911 mechanic recently passed away and to my knowledge there are no other smiths currently active on the forum so i'm not sure how many answers you'll get here. if I were you i'd email this question to half a dozen reputable gunsmiths, see what they have to say and go with the majority.

if the gunsmith from Armscor says you need one i'd say you probably need one.

^this :cool:

milkmanjoe 05-14-2015 10:44 AM

The age old .45 Super in the .45 ACP barrel question. Plenty of guys do it. If you read enough forums alot of them prefer Match Grade barrels and use Springfield(Loaded Model) 1911's. However, most agree that without a proper conversion it is not a good idea to feed an unramped .45 ACP pistol a steady diet of .45 Super. I haven't read about any exploding pistols, though I'm sure enough Google time could find a few. The Armscor armorer was erring on the side of caution. I would do the same. Properly convert the pistol or purchase a newly manufactured .45 Super pistol. Funny thing about humans, we ain't like starfish, our extremities don't grow back once blown off.

reddoggm 05-16-2015 11:16 AM

I've had 2 45 Supers and Both had full ramped bull barrels in them Unless Your a reloader or want to go through Finding and spending a $hitload of extra $$$ on ammo I think you'll find it,s not for the average Gun owner If your looking for a novelty Pistol to shoot now and again or are planning on shooting in the Few leagues that are still around Great but for the average person Theses Pistols
aren't real conducive to own and use They are alot of Fun --But finding Ammo can be a real pain and Real expensive more so than a 38 Super I have been reloading for over 30 years and did so for the 45 Supers and just couldn't find a niche in my world making it worthy of owning one Much less 2 of them
If you are serious about getting/building one give the Fine folks at Clark Custom a call I believe they will hook you up
These guns were Real popular in the 70,s and 80,s and Clark (Jim) built me 2 of them starting out with Milspec Colts I had
I switched over to the 38 Super back in the early 80,s and never looked back Still need to handload for the 38 to make it cost effective but IMHO a lot more fun than the 45 was
Have fun
DOGG!!!

AutoMag 05-16-2015 11:21 AM

You definitely need the ramped barrel!!!:)