View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've been contemplating which magnified scope to put on my 16" 6.8 SPC since I finished assembling it. The rifle will be used any time I'd like to deliver more energy than a 5.56 is capable of, without stepping up to the longer and heavier 308.

Since it's unlikely to be used at more than 400-500 yards (and unlikely in a SHTF scenario), I've been unable to justify the ruggedness, long range abilities, and cost of a Nightforce. I'm currently considering a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 X 44mm. It should be durable enough to survive the knocks of hunting and should transfer enough light to be usable at dusk and dawn. The illuminated reticle should also help in this regard.

The facts that it weighs nearly a pound less than a 3.5-15 X 50 NF is also a nice detail. I've also been considering a Zeiss Conquest, Leupold Mark 4 & VX-R, and Trijicon AccuPoint. For the price of a NF, I should be able to get one of the above (or something similar) and an Aimpoint for close in shooting.....or an Aimpoint and a 3X magnifier. We have more good options now than ever before.

There is no doubt that a Nightforce would be an outstanding scope for my 6.8, but considering the rifle's roles I believe there are better options. You may end up coming to the same conclusion also.

Last edited by Grizzman; 12-28-2011 at 01:50 PM.