View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Okay, I watched some more videos and I know what checking powder means. My understanding is you put powder into a primed case and then dump the powder out into a scale to make sure that you have a consistent measurement. You do this about 5 to 10 times and measure the grains. If there is consistency in the measurements you proceeded to load, or continue loading . Am I correct?
Correct.

Everyone does a different number based on experience and faith in the system. for 45 I am 1 per 100 round checker. Depending on the type of scale you use you just put on measure tray to make sure its in check.
I started with a beam scale and it was slower, but more accurate but drove me kind of crazy waiting for the balancing act. So I purchased a really nice digital scale.

When I am loading I just pull a case off the plate every 100ish check the weight. If its good pour the powder back in put it back on the plate and carry on. If its off I check the next few and maybe have to adjust. Don't have to tweak very often I am lucky mine is so good.

Example: You are loading 45acp 230gr....you are using Win231 (great for target rounds) You are set for 5gr. You measure a load and its 4.9...your good. You measure a round at 5.1 your good, I like to stay within .2 of my desired set gr. But you could be a bit looser for target loads.
If you are loading HOT with same round I think the max is someplace around 5.8-6.0 depending on what book you read then you might have a tighter tolerance for play. maybe .1ish. I hope you get the idea.

You will love reloading!