View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 11:02 AM
COTEP Member

Default To Salute, or not Salute

A thread is progressing in a different forum about whether or not veterans that are "out of uniform" should or should not salute for colors or National Anthem, and/or whether or not they should "remove their cover" when doing so. The consensus answer being that:

Quote:
. . . all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention.
And, that Military/Veterans etc need not remove their covers when saluting.

But this raised a curious question for me. Is the "salute" exclusive to military/veterans only? Would it be bad form for a "civilian" to salute (if done properly and in good faith) if they wished to do so, as opposed to "hand over heart?" I recall, as a HS underclassman, being at one of the "commencement" ceremonies (with local LE present to watch over things) and seeing one of the LEOs salute at the National Anthem as opposed to hand over heart. Now, it's possible that he was a veteran, but I don't know. Furthermore, it's curious that the President (and CIC) does hand over heart, as do former military that are currently in Govt. office. Strange, because the President returns salutes to those military that salute him. And, I must say that President Trump salutes well, considering that he graduated from the NY Military Academy.

As for "cover" on or off, is not the location a factor as well? That is, cover "outdoors" uncover "indoors?" Some of my initial EMT training was at the Bergen County Police & Fire Academy in Mahwah, NJ and I recall there being signs near the outer entrance to the building. As you entered, is says "Uncover..." with a drawing of a man without his cover on. One the way out, the opposite sign "Cover" with the converse drawing (man with cover on).

Thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to FfNJGTFO For This Useful Post:
Gatorade (09-13-2017)