View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM
COTEP Member

Default Day 8 - Something Special

I'm not telling the following story not for any pats on the back; but to just share it with you all:

I bought these knives, known as "The Bears" from Fred Rowe sometime around 2007 or 2008. My ex-wife did the scrimshaw of the ly Bears on the crown of the stag. Fred only sent the handles to be scrimshawed but it wasn't until a knife show that I saw them....I was able to buy them at a great price; and sent them to Sandy Morrissey in TN for sheaths.

Invariably, when talking with Fred (he's also a close friend) the discussion would end up talking about the Bears. I sort of sensed Fred regretted selling them; once even stating that. He always spoke of them like they were a lover who got away. I wrestled with a thought for a few months; finally for Christmas 2017 I wrapped the knives up and sent them to Fred's wife - to be opened by Fred on Christmas Day. According to Fred's wife Fred's eyes leaked a little of salty water!

One of the best friend moments ever! It was without doubt one of the best things I've ever done for a friend. To close the loop on this story - I spent 4 days in the ICU and another 3 days in the hospital last April with a Pulmonary Embolism. My wife brought a cardboard box to me one day from Fred. He sent me a batch of his Iced Ginger Cookies. The box seemed heavier then a box of cookies should weigh - Fred made me a knife and sent it to me! Without further discussion - here's "The Bears!!"

And here's the knife Fred sent me while I was in the hospital:

Feather Damascus
Guns, knives, beautiful women...life is good today!