View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 06:44 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I've been fortunate. Through my career I've had the opportunity to make overtime. While I shared with my family and took vacation I always used it for my to "toys." Never our living wages.
Now, that I'm retired my range job pays for more. Even in this communist state I managed to pick some great ones. Some worth a lot of money and some historical.
What burns me is certain specific items that I can't have. For example I want to build an M16A1 clone like I shot in boot camp. Also, a suppressor and/or suppressed weapon.
One day.

I wouldn't say I've been "unfortunate." I had a decent career and income in corporate life, culminating in a 12 year gig on Wall St. which resulted in some nice income/bonuses. My downfall was not saving as much of it as I could. Instead, I traveled Internationally a lot (which was actually quite nice... been to 6 out of 7 continents, with only Antarctica left). I should have prioritized savings a little more and traveling a little less.

No matter. I'm still alive with a fully paid roof over my head. I'm minus a car but, oddly enough, I'm finding I can take care of my basic transport needs with "Lyft" services and the occasional rented car. Over this year, we'll see if it cost me less to own/maintain the car (including Fuel, Auto Insurance, maintenance etc.), or to use Lyft and car rentals. Oddly enough, I also find that I don't make as many "superfluous" trips that I'd not even worry about when I had the car (I'd just hop in). I have most of my groceries delivered (the Wally World in my area does that now). So, I'm doing fine. I'll probably do the rental thing when I need to travel up to Cave country or to a range. So we'll see.

But so far, so good.