View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Now, for the other side. While it's certainly priced like one, I would not call any DW an upper-end 1911. It's on about the same level as a Colt worked slightly by the Custom shop. Quality-wise I'd put them in the middle, high-middle. What work they do to them(Although some of what I've seen wasn't the best) does make them feel and shoot better than most Factory-Level guns.

As for the Gold Cup, it's apples and oranges. The Gold Cup is a dedicated Bullseye pistol, the DW isn't. In a Bullseye shooters hands a Gold Cup will stay with almost any upper-end 1911 except for Joe Chambers guns. This isn't to say DWs aren't accurate guns, they are. But, they won't shoot with a Gold Cup at Bullseye. Conversely, a Gold Cup isn't the best choice for a carry gun, sights are a little fragile for that. Plus, it would have to be respringed which would throw off the Balance of the action.

Then there's the price of the average DW new, they're really proud of them. They're, in my mind, overpriced by about $300.00. You could get a Gov't Model, reworked with the same bells and whistles from the Custom shop for less.

Just my opinions.