View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 08:28 PM
COTEP Member

I know that many folks have had good luck with Kimbers. I understand that fully. My problem with the brand is that they perform no better than the competition and street prices are always higher than the competition aside from a few exceptions like Colt. Take for example the Raptor version of the Kimber line. The E-Series Smith and Wesson 1911 has the same level of fish scale or snake skin pattern areas on the slide. It has Kimbers texturing of the top of the slide. It has nice grips like the Kimber. Above and beyond the Kimber, it has perfect checkering on the front strap. It has also has a flattened slide top along with the texturing. Kimber does not. It is undercut under the trigger guard which makes for a nice grip feel. The Kimber does not have that. It has an external extractor that the Kimber does not. That may or may not be desirable to some folks. The Smith is indeed all stainless as well. All of that for on average $450 less expensive. Just one example of what I see. Their entry level guns aren't near as customized and nice as competition that is about $100 cheaper. They could be less expensive and do just fine and create a following unrivaled. I don't hate them. They are good guns. They just like them too much for what you get in my opinion. Don't mean to offend anyone that likes them.