View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
Empties hitting you in the forehead. My Kimber used to do that, even sent it back to Kimber. They replaced the Extractor and the Ejector with an Extended version, still did it once in a while. Then I got an education over on 1911.Org. thanks to Niemis24 who, BTW, allows me to use his wonderful diagrams.Once I tuned my Extractor and angled the nose of the Ejector, the cranial-assaults ceased. Both my RIA and the Kimber kick the cases out high and at four O'Clock now.
If you don't have an Extended Ejector there is still something you can do.Take a small file(I use a flat Jewelers'file for all this) and file an angle on the inside of the Ejector nose. What you are doing is moving the point of contact to the left which causes the case-rim to roll off the angle after contacting the Ejector. File a little bit at a time and try it until it's ejecting well to the right side.
Thanks for the great post Dave, several years ago I had a 4 inch Kimber Covert that was just terrible about throwing the brass back in my face, I had a couple of local gunsmiths try to fix it, it didn't work. After a piece of brass hit my glasses so hard it put a chip in them, I sold the SOB, I felt bad for the buyer, but I warned him. It's bad when you want to duck as soon as as you pull the trigger because you're wary of your own gun........Mike

Last edited by jmlutz; 08-04-2011 at 06:55 PM.