View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 01:52 PM
COTEP Member

And the Range report as promised.

It was a beautiful day out. Just warming up to 70˚F, I decided to zero in the RPR again. But I made some changes which helped. I moved the scope more forward on the picatiny rail so I'd be able to align right on the cheek stock piece instead of behind it. That gave me almost perfect eye relief. I could, literally, close my eyes for 5 seconds and be right on target again.

I'm getting more comfortable making the adjustments on the scope for zeroing in. I got it to a point where I was able to get 3 shots in the black, but I know I'm still having "positional" issues where I'm just not quite getting a perfect cheek weld and a perfect stance that I can replicate. So my target accuracy is off slightly because of positioning. Still all of that 10 shot group was on target.

The problem came when I switched to the lower targets. I had put 4 AP-2 targets in portrait mode on a large coroplaast board behind two furring strips. I shot the upper right first, and did some gross zero adjusting on that. Then I switched to the upper left target and that's where I hit in the black. Then, I moved to the lower left target and it seemed like I hadn't even zeroed the rifle at all. All down and to the left. My shooting buddies on the line had two suggestions:

1) Get that cheek alignment and stance down cold and don't move it. It appears I may be moving the stock out of place on my shoulder when I switch down to the lower targets. Get that placement down cold and keep it there before zeroing again.

2) The load may be a bit much. I'm using 175gr Match Grade .308 Win. They are suggesting a lighter load (maybe 168gr). I'm not so sure about that one. If I can, I'd prefer to stay at 175gr. But I'm more than happy to get a box or two of 168 just to check it out. But, eventually, I'd want to go back to 175gr.

I ordered one of those Bipod easy levers so that I can keep the swivel much tighter than it has been (that's been a problem). So things are looking much better. I'll be focusing on the RPR on the range now, but I will begin AR15 Build #2 starting in February. Hopefully, I'll also be taking my "Long Range 201" course in May and start to get beyond 100 yards.

A good day was had by all!

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 01-31-2022 at 10:04 AM.