View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 12:27 PM
COTEP Member

OK folks, here it is.... The long awaited "range report" on all my new inventory!

Had a rather decent day at JTAC, and I met some of my fellow "Hide" members. But I got all of my new inventory "test fired" and all went "BANG" when they were supposed to.

Now, for the AR I built at the beginning of this thread. Indeed, it went "BANG" but, sadly, it didn't cycle. I had to cycle it manually by pulling the charging handle. By doing so, the spent brass did eject properly and the new cartridge did load and go into battery. And yes, it fired and went BANG! But not enough gas pressure to make the rifle cycle... not even to push the charging handle back. So, it would appear I have some gas port/block issues to work out.

OTOH, the RPR went BANG! That thing is a beast! I really have a lot to learn in re: that rifle. First thing I have to learn is getting the proper sight picture via the scope. This, while wearing eyes and ears, etc. and not letting things like my ball cap getting in the way of getting the reticle picture. Anyway, I will have that class shortly, and hopefully, I'll have some practice in before then. Probably best to go "prone" here as I think I have better control of my head's angle against the scope, and my eyes will work better. I may seriously have to consider "contacts" rather than wear glasses. But we'll see.

Otherwise, all my other inventory (pistols, etc.) fired correctly and safely, And I tested them with both "practice ammo" (ball ammo) as well as EDC ammo (JHPs). Furthermore, I test my two shotties with both #8 Target load and 00-buck. Both my 940 JM Pro and my Shockwave did well. The kick wasn't so bad on the shockwave, but I think I'll have to find a better stance/posture to minimize recoil but get good aiming in.

Great range day and new friends made. I even got a "Wally Walk" in last night... no issues. Looking forward to the "Long Range 101" course in another month.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 08-11-2021 at 12:34 PM.