View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 08:54 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
^^^ Sounds like a good day !!
It was a great day! Let me explain why by expanding on what I said in my last post.

After the first couple of rounds, Bob decided he'd increase the challenge quite a bit by hanging a mere 2 inch steel plate just to see if any of us would be able to hit it. One of our group (goes by "racer88," but is not a member here) did hit it after several attempts and then later in the afternoon, so did ; great shots for both of them! For a few years now, , racer, and I often go shooting together and we're all great friends!

Anyway, a hit on that 2 inch plate knocked the plate off it's hanger such that the plate had to be reset for the next round of shooting when first Bob, and for later rounds, and I went downrange to repaint/reset plates. On the last round of the day and not wanting to be left out, I decided to try for that 2 inch plate, too. I had the elevation right but missed just off the left side on my first attempt, then just off the right edge on my second attempt, but was pretty confident I had bracketed the firing solution. Then just as was lining up my third attempt, that sumbeach racer88 hit that 2 inch plate a second time, knocking it off it's mount, and eliminating any chance of me hitting it that day! As I said, we're all great friends and we all had a great laugh over that one! Not to be out done, the fourth man in our group (goes by the screen name of "Anduril" and also not a member here, but had become a good friend, too), shooting his RPR chambered in .338 Lapua, shot one of the 6 inch plates perfectly dead-center, knocking it loose from one of two mounting straps. When it came to rest, it was rotated CCW by 90 degrees with it's left edge to the firing line. So Bob said, "Now see if you can hit it again on edge (3/8" AR500 steel plate)." So Anduril lined up for another shot and damn if he didn't hit that plate edge on with a bullet just slightly smaller than the width of that plate! Bob could hardly believe it and that was certainly the best shot of the day and sort of took a little bit wind out of the sails of racer's second hit on the 2 inch plate!

So yes, it was really a great day shooting at long range with good friends under the tutelage of a great long range rifle shooting instructor and we all learned a great deal!

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2022 (now retired)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
-- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
-- H. Spencer