View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 01:28 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
I will save my "1st official content viewing" for this weekend... Top Gun Maverick Blu-Ray! Just got it!. I'll file an AAR afterwards.

As promised, the "Top Gun Maverick" AAR. The TV functioned extremely well. I don't think it was all shot in 4K (at least for the Blu-Ray), but the sound quality was fantastic.

Loved the movie. At least they kept the Top Gun 1 flashbacks to a minimum, and updated the other "references" to today's time (i.e. Buzzing the tower, etc.). And a very interesting story regarding Maverick and Goose's son. For those who haven't yet seen it, I won't give things away. But I will make one or two "cast" comments. I totally understand why (much to the disappointment of Kelly McGillis) they did not re-cast her as "Charlie" but opted to go with the character of Penny Benjamin (Jennifer Connelly) as Maverick's love interest. I would have wanted to see one other character from Top Gun I make a cameo, along with Val Kilmer as Ice. That would be Tom Skeritt as Viper, but retired, just for them to have a quick chat and for Maverick to get some more "advice."

Anyway a great story... kept me on the edge of my seat. I ended up wanting more, but i"m not sure if they'd be able to do a Top Gun III and complete the trilogy. For one thing, I would want and expect Maverick to have obtained at least 1-2 stars by that time and be put in some "Admin" role, since I doubt he could still fly after all this time. I was kinda half expecting it at the end of this movie (to get at least one star), but that just wouldn't be Maverick. Sort of like James T Kirk during the Star Trek Movie series. He was never meant to be an "Admiral." He functioned best as a Captain and commander of a fleet vessel. Same with Maverick. I can't see him ever behind a desk with stars. he was meant to be a pilot. I think they'd have to suspend quite a bit of dis-belief to get Maverick back into a cockpit from that Admiralty desk. Maybe it's better for the franchise to end with this one.

Still, I want another one. Maybe Top Gun III is about somebody like Goose's son being the leader with Maverick as the Commander that has to go back to show them to do it. A little far fetched, but...

Loved the movie and loved the TV set.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 11-20-2022 at 05:41 PM.