Thread: Tell Us
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

In 1995 went to enlist with the Corps as a scout/sniper....let my parents talk me out of it. They talked me into seeing a Navy recruiter...I passed the nuke-test...but it wasnt for me. Sullivans are fight'n men; we were raised in the woods and with a rifle in our hands. I would be a Marine, or I would be nothing.

After 9/11 went to enlist again....let my then-wife talk me out of it. I made a deal with her: as long as they didn't need men, I would not answer my nation's call....if they did, I was bound by duty to answer it.

2004: USMC enlistments did not meet quotas.....so I enlisted as scout/sniper. I had to put a year in the grunts to get into the program.

August 2005: medical discharge for major complications from fallen arches :-(. Never got to be a scout/sniper.....but 0311 is the pride of the Corps!

I miss it everyday.

My parents didnt speak to me for almost a year, it put my college education on hold. Jody paid the Mrs a visit, and it cost me my marriage and the health of my feet......but I'd do it all over again if they let me! I love this country and the Corps. Semper Fidelis is a creedo I live my entire life by and I dont regret a thing I did. I think every man worth his salt deep-inside wonders if he could "pack-the-gear" if the S*** hit the fan....I know I wonder it myself. I'll never know....but I hope I wouldve served with distinction and honor if I was put to the test.

I don't share these thoughts with just anyone and I'm not a whiny candya**.....but here I'm amongst friends :-), and feel comfortable with sharing.

Semper Fidelis, God Bless, and thank you to all of you who have put it all on the line for this blessed nation.
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." ~Robert E Lee
“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri