Old 09-02-2020, 12:26 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Hey Jim!

Good to be back!

So far the laws haven't affected me down in the southern/rural part of Virginia.

I'm worried about them passing a magazine law that would basically make all semi auto pistols illegal. The way the law is phrased, any firearm which can accept a magazine containing more than 10 rounds... essentially means any weapon with a magazine. It failed last time. If it passes, it might make 1911's illegal. The only things I'll have that are legal then will be my Remington 870 and my Remington 700. Sad.

Then there's the assault weapon ban that failed last time, but who knows next time.

Then there's the 30 day wait between purchases, but that doesn't apply to CCW holders.

Wife just retired from USN with 30 years of service and if they really pass those laws, we're thinking about moving to Idaho. At least there's no rioting there, and folks pretty much leave you alone.

What are you wanting to shoot with your SiL? I don't see why you'd have a problem with Virginia at this point. I'd stay out of northern VA though

-
Fellow Virginian, that "Waiting Period" you mention,( 30 Days) only applies to Handguns. Not Long Guns. And, correctly, if You have a Virginia CHP, You can purchase all the Handguns you want to. We've had this Law Before, It Sucks, it's Stupid, and will Not Save Any Lives. We need to Elect Amanda Chase for Governor Next year, and we MUST change the Senate & House to Republican Control!
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson