View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
I'll take it apart, and clean the gas system properly...

When you unscrew the GC plug (requires a 3/8" wrench), be sure to hold the gas system and barrel together tightly with your other hand to prevent torquing on the whole system. Sadlak makes a tool that holds everything together when you do this, but I've never needed it. Also, don't use a 12 point wrench/socket, you might round off the corners.

Sadlak also makes some nice hand drills for reaming the carbon buildup out of the gas system. I don't own them, but I've come close to ordering them several times. I usually just use bronze bore brushes (.45 brush fits right into the GC and plug) and old mops to get the gas system clean. That being said, I usually clean mine often enough to keep the carbon from caking up in there.

Make sure the gas system stays bone dry. No oil.

Remember if you clean the bore that any solvents you use will run through the port and into the GC unless you have the rifle oriented sights down. Run your sights all the way down first (bottom the rear out, IOW). Foams will get in there regardless of how you orient the rifle. If solvents do get into the gas system, dry out the gas system before shooting it again.

When you clean your rifle and get ready to relube it, make sure you use grease and not oil. The field manual calls for Lubriplate, but any kind of bearing grease will work just fine. The bolt roller especially needs to be packed with grease. They make a bolt roller greaser tool, but a piece of .45 brass works just fine. Just fill the brass with grease, stick it over the roller, and spin. Any areas on the bolt, op rod, top of the trigger group, and receiver that appear shiny from metal-on-metal contact should get a little grease.

Jason