View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Just my thoughts on this:

First, reloading solves a lot of these issues. You can make any round if you reload to a speed/power factor you like if the projectile can take the speed. Some have a rated max speed and should be respected. IE Most plated say no more than 1250fps in a .45acp. that is a pretty good clip for .45 IMO.

Second, cost. Buying vs. reloading comes down to cost. I know its time consuming and can be a very large up front cost but if you enjoy it that is worth the time. It what you like to do. Nothing wrong either way.

Third, I don't spend much money on self defense branded marketed ammo/projectiles. Well I don't think the bad guy cares what is getting fired in his direction, they all are going to make a hole. I know the advantages with expanding rounds and all that tech, yep its good. But a FMJ is going to hurt and a bad guy isn't going to say, man I am glad that round was FMJ instead of a hollow point, that won't be nearly as painful or deadly. The only self defense ammo I actually buy, the higher dollar stuff is for the .380. Because that is what Lisa is going to grab if she had to dispatch a bad guy. But anything I carry is just standard FMJ rounds.

I load them a bit hotter but then I can make my own so that is a huge advantage.

I wish he would have posted the numbers of the Winchester. they are slower than the others but actually do pretty well. I know that video could have went on and on between different brands but he was testing "high end" ammo. Hornaday was a self defense and the other was a +p round. They both were designed for the same thing. I don't know what the other stuff costs, going to look in a second just out of curiosity.

Good video for sure, he is a bit corny at first....almost stopped watching because of that.