View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 04:56 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
To be honest, my first one I used a complete upper and technically only built the lower. [emoji2375]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might actually end up doing that.

I cleared the jam very carefully. As it turned out, there was a live round "in battery" but not fired. Another was right behind it with the tip jamming against the "in battery" round. I had to separate the upper & lower, but even that wouldn't clear the jam. I was, finally able to remove the mag (one round was jamed betwen the mag and upper. I had to push back the BCG, manually with pliers (which it did) and use a pair of needle nose pliers to clear the live round jammed up against the "in battery" round. Once I did that, the BCG itself also went into battery. I pulled the charging handle again and the "in battery" round did eject, clearing the rifle.

Thinking it might have something to do with the tension the rounds are in when loaded into my PMAG-30s, I took an empty one and loaded 10 5.56 snap caps into it. I charged one, which went into battery. Now, the charging handle is now jammed. It won't pull back. I got the PMAG out, but I can't pull the charging handle at all to eject the snap cap.

At this point, I'm considering replacing either the BCG and/or the entire upper. Something is JDFR with it. I don't think it's the buffer/spring assembly. I think it might very well be that the BCG is binding. But what to do about it. I also need to ensure that there isn't an issue with the barrel itself not allowing the spent round to eject. I think they are ejecting properly (the jammed round and the "in battery" round certainly did). But I think something is causing the BCG to bind. Also, I've noticed the mag release on the lower is not working well either. It doesn't lock back when the last round is ejected. But that's a different issue for another time.

I also checked for a gas leak when I had the upper/lower separated. I think the gas system is OK as the key goes right into the tube when in battery. I think my gas issues are resolved now. I just have to move on to the upper/BCG issues.