Thread: Any Thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 11:51 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
You can trust a lib to spend their life trying to screw over decent folk at every opportunity; real or imagined.

There outta’ be a bounty on ‘em...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So, my Congressman must have heard you... He already responded, in true politician fashion.

Dear Mr. Amundsen,
Thank for you for contacting me regarding the regulation of firearms in our country. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.
Over the years that I’ve been honored to serve as your representative, I’ve gotten calls and emails on this issue more than perhaps any other. I’ve heard from responsible, law-abiding folks who follow the laws and own guns for sport, hunting, hobby, or home protection. And I’ve heard from folks who are heartbroken after a tragedy has occurred or who have been personally affected by a shooting. I respect all of those perspectives.
Like most folks in our area, I don’t support legislation that would take away guns from law-abiding citizens or infringe on their Second Amendment right to own and buy firearms for sport, hunting, hobby, or home protection. I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and understand that the vast majority of gun owners follow the laws. The approach of public policymakers should acknowledge and respect that reality.
As you are aware, Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) introduced the Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act (H.R. 127). This legislation would establish a new federal licensing and registration process for all firearms and certain types of ammunition that would require applicants to submit to a criminal background check and psychological evaluation, complete a certified gun-safety training course, and carry an approved liability insurance policy.
You asked me to vote against this bill, and I can tell you that it’s highly unlikely this bill will be brought forward for a vote. It was introduced more than 18 months ago, does not have any cosponsors, and has not even received a hearing. While there have been hearings and even votes on some common-sense proposals to improve public safety, this bill hasn’t gained much traction. Having said that, I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in with your thoughts. Please know that I will keep them in mind if Congress considers legislation. I encourage you to continue to share your views with me on this topic or any other issue. Thank you for reaching out. I am honored to serve as your representative.

Sincerely,

Derek Kilmer
Member of Congress

Nuff said... I think not!

COTEP 439