View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 11:07 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
Quick Question: What are you all recommending for "Frangible 5.56?" If I'm going to put either this build or "Build #2 (comming in 2022) into the HD plan, I'm not going to be able to use "Green Tip" for that So, I'm looking for some good Frangible 5.56 that will get the job done without overdoing it.

Any recommendations?
What do you mean by "HD plan?" Home Defense? If so, you don't need frangible. Get good hollow point ammo and stay with 55 grain.
We did some extensive testing on .223/5.56 ammo when we switched from the MP5's to M4's. Everyone was afraid of over penetration.
What we learned, and it's going to sound counter intuitive, is the 9mm was over penetrating, more than the 5.56.
The heavier 9mm was plowing through 2 X 4's, sheet rock and many obstacles, while the lighter .223 was more susceptible to deflection as well as slowing down and being stopped by solid obstacles.
If you were to fire a 9 vs 5.56 outside then yes, the 5.56 would go farther. What we discovered, and this was supported by the sate AG's office as well, within most interiors the 9mm was penetrating more than the .223/5.56.

Now me personally, I have handguns for home defense, but my go to is a pistol caliber carbine, a HK USC. It's loaded with Federal 230 grain Hydroshoks.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.