View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 08:15 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Never said they wouldn't penetrate. Just the odds were better than a 9 coming out of carbine.
Also, I forgot to add, I don't believe frangible was designed for self defense. More for using in indoor ranges and/or on steel. Also, lead free.

I do currently use 9mm Hydrashok JHPs for my EDC pistol (P365). And they will still stay in the HD plan. I'm just wanting to add one of my AR's to that plan. I live in a small 1130 Sq ft. 3bd/2br with block & stucco outer walls. And my neighbors' houses are less than 20ft. away from mine. I'm a lot worried about penetration and would prefer frangible for 5.56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Hollowpoints need soft tissue to expand. I had a Sierra 165 gr hollow point boat tail go through a tree and kill a deer on the other side of the tree. The deer was moving and stepped behind the tree trunk just as I pulled the trigger. I centered the tree trunk and the bullet went straight through and then flew true another 20 yards before hitting the deer. I found the bullet hole. A soft point would have expanded inside the tree and disintegrated.

I'll check them out but I think, in the end, I'll go with some kind of frangible 5.56.

Thanks all!