View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 11:35 AM
COTEP Member

My jig set didn't have the drill guides so I had to free hand it, I tried using the 5/32nd bit to drill pilot holes for the 3/4 bit. That didn't work out so well for me. I didn't want to make a mistake so I only went about half as deep in the pocket and will go deeper for a second adjustment. The smaller holes were not aligned with where the larger ones would be and I was going at too slow a speed. Looks a mess and I was not happy but was going to see how it would be after the end mill went in. I got a little close to the guide on a couple holes.

The endmill did its job and my lack of machining skills are evident. I did read up last night and found out my drill speed was way too low. Speeding up the drill worked better with the endmill but it was pretty rough and lots of chatter if I tried to push it too fast. When I got deeper I was able to use the jig top plate as a guide for the smooth shank of the mill.

Not finished but looking better. You can see the trigger pin holes and I have re drilled deeper with the 3/4 bit. Faster speed made that much easier. I am leaving the back section for right now because that is a different depth and I want to get the main pocket cleared out first.

It won't win a beauty contest but I have heard some sand paper and a dremmel may help the smoothness on the inside. Truth be told I would be happy if it just functions well no matter how it looks inside. This is the first and I will be doing more so I can only hope to get better as well.

More milling later!

Milled out the front pocket and the safety pocket. Could have gone a little farther on the safety pocket but it looks like it will clear everything. Put the drill guide for the trigger slot. Two big holes should have been easy but looks like I walked one one the holes just a bit.

Finished milling! (Or so I thought!)

Last edited by Gatorade; 06-12-2017 at 01:08 PM.