View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

This one is my Daily carry piece (off duty). A Titanium framed Officer model in .45.
his started as a Caspian Ti frame and Caspian Carbon steel GI slide. The slide was flat topped and you can see the ball mill cuts. I also did something a bit different on the inside, grit traps. The rear sight is the third sight I had made from 4340 barstock and had sent off with the slide to get ionbonded. The front sight started as a blank SDM, I turned down and mounted into it a 9 carat gold pin then blended it to the slide with boardering ball cuts. The rear of the slide was serrated at 50lpi with a matching extrctor and ejector. I finished the slide with a bead blasted rounds and bevels; and a 600 grit satin finish, then DLC black. The pictures don't do the finish justice!

The frame has carbidized rails and was deburred inside and out. I found that the magazine well was out of spec slightly and had to be massaged. The font of the trigger guard is serrated at 30lpi and the bottom was given a (purely cosmetic) ball cut. The MSH was blended to the frame and then stippled in a stinger pattern that terminates on the bottom of the MSH. The pad on the beavetal was also stippled and cut with a simple groove to compliment a high hold. The Beavertail started life as a Wilson BP stainless one and was shortened by a quarter inch and reprofiled slightly.

The thumb safety is an EGW that was reprofiled for easier carry and concealment. The Slide stop is the 10-8 Gen 2. Barrel is a Wislon combat Forged stainless barrel with an 11 degree crown. The trigger is a 10-8 flat triger that has been internally lightened and the bw drilled and polished. Mated to an EGW hard sear and Harris Design trigger and Diso. the sear was given CW's True Radius on the nose and the pull breaks at a smooth, but snappy 3.5 lbs. I also used the EGW flat wire set-up with an eared Reverse plug. I luted the Guide rod, mainly cause it looks cool.

As for the Mag release. It is an EGW HD stainless that was cratered then given a "cat's tongue" finish reminiscient of the old Gerber Mark II handles. The tera drop thumb relief on the frame is a shout out to Gary Smith at Caspian, he knows why :mrgreen:

Finishing it all off is the set of Carbon Fiber thin grips I made using CF from Dave Erickson, thanks again Dave.

And now for the pictures: